Chapter 13

When Bruno drove Liz up the short driveway to their home, she saw a sign hanging from the house with large printed letters spelling out Welcome Home Liz! Colorful flowers and hearts decorated the cheerful sign, and when Bruno turned off the ignition, Liz hugged him and gave him a quick kiss and giggled, "What a cute sign, did you make that?" Liz knew full well Bruno didn't make the sign. "Jaime was in charge of the sign and I'm the host," Bruno said proudly. "Oh, there's a host," Liz said teasingly, "Sounds fancy, should I change?" "Ah, you might reconsider your undergarments, since you're without one of them. I learned to share, but your body wasn't part of the deal," Bruno smiled and pecked his wife's lips. "I've already noticed how much warmer it is here than home -, um, I mean back East. Probably better dress for the weather, so I guess I'll bring some of my suitcases in now, huh?" "Put on my sweater and go on in. I'll bring in your luggage and you can change later. Everyone wants to welcome you now."

"Oh, hey Liz," Bruno stopped Liz before she got out of the car, touching her forearm. She looked at him with mild curiosity. "I was thinking we could tell the rest of my family about us tonight. While Jaime and Eric's families are still here, we could Skype the rest of them, and if there's time, we could tell everyone else?" "Maybe we should tell Brandon first and then make that call to your family," Lizzy contemplated thoughtfully. Bruno's excitement was dampened by Lizzy's comments. "Can't you let go and follow your feelings? Do you always have to follow the rules, Liz?" Bruno said it with a smile, shaking his head. "Yes, I can let go and no, I don't always go by the rules. I married you in three days, didn't I?" Liz smiled shyly and giggled. "Yes, you did my love." Bruno's bedroom eyes appeared and he kissed Elizabeth's lips softly. She kissed him back and bit his pouty bottom lip. Liz put her forehead on his and breathed, "So is Brandon here? We'll tell him tonight?" "He should be here, let's go do it."

Before the lovebirds had moved, the car began to shake and the windows vibrated from hands banging them. Elizabeth immediately thought of earthquakes and hail. Being accustomed to small earthquakes but not hail, Bruno figured someone was messing with his car and he didn't like it. This beauty was a Classic Chevy Nova, so nobody had better be -! "What the hell are you guys doing?" Bruno yelled out the window as he rolled it down manually. "Stop messing with my car!" Elizabeth finally brought her hands down from around her head and looked around her. Everyone she could have imagined being at the party and more were either standing around the car or coming down the steps from the house. They all looked giddy, like something really exciting was happening.

Bruno continued, "What the hell's going on with you guys? You scared the shit out of us!" Phil was right there to answer his friend, "Man, Eric spilled the beans about your wedding, so we all decided you were getting a chivaree!" Crap! "Liz, they're drunk. Lock your door."

Jaime, three sheets to the wind, started laughing, "No guys, we're just going to serenade you. It will be loud and we've done some things to the house, but you'll be okay." The men talked about kissing the bride and started a line outside her car door. Phred kept banging on Bruno's cowbell while Phil kept hollering, "More Cowbell!" He had gotten that from a Saturday Night Live skit with Will Ferrell. 

Bruno's two pots, his frying pan and their lids were being savagely beaten with his one spatula, his one serving spoon and his tablespoons. He had bought those new! Bruno had gotten rid of his garage sale pots and replaced them with brighter, newer versions, but now realized he shouldn't have bothered. His stuff didn't seem sacred to anyone else but him.

When the drunken, happy group started singing, "She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain," Liz leaned closer to Bruno and yelled so she could be heard over the noise, "I haven't heard this song in forever, they are getting out of hand. We need to get out of here, so either we start the car and leave, or we suck it up and kiss them all the way to the house, then offer them drinks so they'll shut up!" "You're making sense Liz, even the neighbors are starting to join in." "You know your neighbors?" "No, Jaime knows a couple of them though." Bruno was looking around to see if it was safe to actually leave the car. There was a heated pool out back, but it was just chilly enough he didn't want to be plunked into it by some overly dedicated reveler.