Chapter 14: Fits and Pits

Deep within the mushroom jungle, Wattson, Potter, and Waffles were trying to find the way back. Wattson remained quiet as Waffles and Potter were arguing over which way they should go.

"I'm telling you," argued Potter. "We came from this direction!" He pointed to the north end of the jungle. "We passed that butterfly on the way here thirty minutes ago!"

"That's because its been following us, you nitwit!" Waffles snapped back. "We came from the south side! Why should we listen to you?!"

"You were the one who started this argument, mister grouchy!" Potter rebutted. "What's the point of arguing anyway? We would be back by now if you would listen!"

Waffles growled and glared at Potter, making him hide behind Wattson. Wattson continued to remain silent as the two began to grate on his nerves.

"Well, maybe if you would keep your gigantic mouth shut for once, we wouldn't be lost in the first place!" Waffles snarled. "You always have something to say about everything! Act normal like the rest of us instead of causing distractions!"

Potter glared back at Waffles and waved his forks at him. They were bendable only when he wasn't inanimate and made great claws, forcing Waffles to move back. Potter never harmed anyone in his shelf-life, which meant Waffles messed up big time!

"Normal is a myth and you know it!" He was about to fight Waffles, ready to pounce any second. "Now clam up that crumb-filled mouth of yours before I stick a fork right in your-"

"Will the two of you please shut up?!" Wattson lost it, making Potter and Waffles forget about their argument. "All of us are at fault! Potter wouldn't stop rambling and Waffles wouldn't stop complaining about the hike!" He began shaking and gave off a blue glow again. "I promised Loumine I wouldn't lose her, and look what I've done!"

Wattson broke into tears and collapsed on the ground. His illness returned to him from stress. Potter hopped over to Wattson and tried to help him calm down while Waffles heard hissing from somewhere.

"Oh circuits..." Potter sighed. "Not again." Wattson sneezed on the ground and shuddered. "It's all right, Wattson!" Potter said cheerfully. "We can find the others! If a toaster can do it, then we can too!" He helped Wattson up and escorted him to a large mushroom to rest. "Here. You lie down for a bit. We'll find Ellie and Loumine when you feel better."

Wattson kept sobbing and coughing as Potter covered his buddy up with a large leaf. He began overheating to Potter's disappointment.

"Heeeyyy..." a nearby voice hissed. "Who'sssss that coughing?"

Waffles screamed and hid in some large rocks. A giant female snake with a long green body slithered behind Potter, looking over him at Wattson.

Even though Wattson was still overheating, he immediately spotted the snake and squeaked. He hated snakes!

"P-P-P-Potter... B-behind you..." He hid under the leaf.

Potter turned around and looked at the large snake towering over him. The two continued to stare at each other while Waffles was sneaking up from behind the snake, about to whip her with his cord.

"Oh! Hi, Miss Hiss!" greeted Potter. He was obvious to Wattson's loud, 'Why?!' behind him. "Is this the snake pit?"

"Snakes..." sobbed Wattson. "Why did it have to be snakes?!"

"Whhhhyyyy, yesssss it issss..." hissed the snake. She looked at Wattson and was completely smitten with him. "Hi there, cutie. I'm hungry for ssssssomthing, but it issssssn't food."

Waffles suddenly whipped the snake back with his cord, making her shout in pain. She bared her fangs and rattled her tail at him while Waffles continued to smack the snake.

"Back! I said back, you filthy reptile!" He smacked the snake again and again. "Leave us alone!"

More snakes started to confront Waffles and the others, rattling their tails loud enough for Loumine and Ellie to hear nearby.

"What's with the whip gimmick, Waffles?!" shouted Potter. He hopped onto a mushroom to protect Wattson.

"I don't know!" Waffles shouted back. "I saw it in a movie once!"

Ellie peeped her head out from behind a mushroom and shrieked while Loumine stood on a rock and flashed her light brightly.

"Enough!" she shouted. The snakes paused and looked at her. "Beat it! He's mine, understand?! Leave Wattson alone before I sick a mongoose on all of you!"

The snakes, now very heartbroken, slithered away after hearing Loumine's white lie. The large green snake looked back one last time in tears.

"Ohhhhh..." she sighed. "All the good onessssss are taken thesssssssse dayssssss..."

Once they were gone, Ellie embraced Potter and Waffles. She was so happy to see them again. Loumine hopped over to Wattson and noticed he had fallen off the mushroom unconscious...

With a huge smile on his face...