9~ Where We Land

Keep Calm and Graduate Like A Boss

Chapter 9

>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^

June 19, 1990- Tuesday

School is done and I'm so glad that I don't have to step foot on Brimwedge anymore.

I just realized that the day Jason rejected me was the exact day we've been dating for a month. I haven't heard from him and I have to live with the thought of never seeing him again. I guess Cinder was right; no one could possibly love me.

I didn't go to school for the rest of the week because I felt empty and useless inside. In the entire universe, the Milky Way is just a dot so the Earth is partially invisible which means I'm not important to anyone or anything. I cried even more than I did the week before and the last words Jason said to me, repeated in my mind. I attempted to end my misery twice but because of my wolf healing, it only made me pass out for a few hours. 

Mother got a note that I wouldn't graduate if I miss two or more school days so I had to go back to school on Monday the 11th. There was no way I was repeating another year of hell. Everyone in the pack and the school knew that I was rejected but I didn't care. They would be bowing their heads to me pretty soon. 

At Brimwedge, the top three valedictorians have a speech at graduation and I'm one of them. Mr. Sage said that he didn't like my approach to calling Brimwedge a prison that kept students from reaching their full potential and making them compete for a letter grade. He partially wrote my speech for me and told me not to alter anything. I guess honesty is now a crime. I cared more about being done with everyone in that school than the speech being authentic so, I didn't fight it.

The entire week consisted of walking slowly to a chair then, sitting down for the rehearsal of our graduation which lasted an hour. On the fifteenth of this month, all of the students walked in a line to their seats like we've practiced for hours. We listened to the choir sing the Star Spangled Banner, then the principle and other heads of the school talked about how they loved us even though the whole time we were in the school, they were complaining about how they don't like teenagers. 

The time came for us to go up and grab our diploma. Arcturus and Ottis sat next to me because we were arranged alphabetically. When my name was called, I stood up and began to walk over to the stage where the principle stood. He handed me my diploma and said, "It's been a joy having you in our school." He put his hand out for me to shake.

I smiled at him and replied, "I never liked you or this school." I maneuvered past him and walked down the stage, back to my seat. After everyone was called up, it was time for the speeches. Once the other two delivered their two similar, long, boring speeches, it was my turn.

"Well, good morning to the graduating class of 1990 and everyone who has come to join us today to witness a major milestone," I recited. "For those of you who live under a rock, my name is Nina Raeme. I can't believe that after all of the schoolwork and the drama, we made it." I glanced at Mr. Sage who had his hand on his face. I wasn't going to follow his script and I couldn't care less.

In our first year here at Brimwedge, we didn't know what was planned ahead for us. We didn't know that George Bush will be running for president. All we knew was that there were strangers all around us and soon, some of them will become our enemies or friends.

We also tried to make new friends and "fit in." Then, you're inspired by words from noble people like William Shakespeare who said that "A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow." We learned that life isn't easy and we'll have bigger responsibilities as we grow up but, it's easier when you have people that care about you and will be by your side when times get rough. 

Furthermore, one thing I know everyone has learned here at Brimwedge is that time moves on with or without you. I remember hating this school on my first day and I still do but the people I've met made this place a second home to me. 

As I look at the class of 1990, I see future doctors who are going to save lives and future engineers, robbers, lawyers, killers, teachers and much more. Decades ago, we didn't have flip phones to carry everywhere but who knows; we might have phones that activate just by looking at it. This just proves how things in life change and if you put all of your attention on the past or on the future, you'll miss out on what's happening around you. 

Overall, we will journey into the next chapter of our life with lessons and morals we've learned at Brimwedge. We'll meet new people, make new friends, overcome challenges but we'll still thrive like we did at Brimwedge. We have all stayed up late studying and finishing projects for classes like Latin and Poetry that we are never going to use in our life, but all of that has led us to where we are now.

Our graduation is just another stepping stone on our path to success. We'll never forget Brimwedge because of the memories we have made here and we will remember and cherish them forever.

To conclude Brimwedge graduates, make the most out of your future, good luck to you all and wherever you go don't forget what makes you who you are.

I finished and everyone looked at each other and slowly started to clap. "Is this a Monday morning in Mr. Sage's class or graduation? We are done, guys!" The crowd boomed with laughter and they began to clap louder.

After graduation, Mother took multiple pictures with her Polaroid for memories and then Father, Mother, Ottis, Arcturus, Rena and I went to eat. At the restaurant, I talked about how I was ready to be the leader of the pack and they didn't seem happy about it. They complained that I was broken and unstable but I denied all of their accusations. Arcturus mentioned something about a plan not working and how they needed a new one. Before I could ask him more, Mother cut us off and reminded us that we came here to celebrate and eat not to talk about the pack.

I don't know what that was about but I think I was more concerned with sating my appetite. 

~N

>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^>*_*<^

Vote & Comment. ~Proudly_Weird €>~<3