Chapter Twelve.

I stared horrified at my father, Jo Covington. I had told Sketch that my father left my mother after I was born, but obviously, that wasn't true. I learned of my father's "werewolf" when I was a young kid, about eleven years old, and I was excited. The idea of becoming a wolf at the strong age of eighteen sent amazing visions swirling around in my brain; the rush of the wind in my fur, the strong sense of smell, the pack bond I would form with my brother wolves.

However, when I was just fourteen, a few months after meeting Eve, I became a Hunter, destined to protect our land, and since then, the approaching date of my Shift loomed over me like a dark cloud. I hadn't lied to Sketch, really. Jo had left, but he didn't desert us when I was born. No, he was, and is, a magnificent father and husband to my mom and I. He paid the bills and loved us like any regular father. On occasion though, he would disappear into the night, running off to answer a call unheard by  me or my mother.

I had seen my father as I wolf; he was stunning. He was enormous, the biggest in the pack, and midnight black fur that glistened healthily. Like Sketch, only his eyes stayed the same when he shifted. They were a deep ocean blue; I received my eyes from him.

Jo gave us an odd look, but soon horrified realization washed over his square shaped face. "Oh no," he gulped audibly, his Adam's apple bobbing.

"Jo?" Sketch asked. "Alpha?"

Jo nodded curtly, stealing a glance at my small mother. She seemed unfazed, standing quietly to take a glass of lemonade from the silver plate he was holding; she even smiled at him.

Sketch looked as if she was doing a difficult math problem in her head. "Covington..." She murmured to herself. "Oh my gosh. Covington!" She shot to her feet.

I stayed seated, guilt rolling over me in dark gray waves. She turned to me.

"You-you lied to me!" She stuttered. "You told me he left! That you hadn't talked to him in years!" Hot, bitter tears ran down her pretty face.

I could only nod, so she continued. "How could you? I was so careful when the subject came up. I never questioned, never wondered. You lied to me!" Her voice was loud, very loud.

I saw Jo set the tray down on a small table by the swing. "Now, Eve..." He started, but she turned on him too.

"And you went along with it! Pretending you didn't know him that night." Her rants rolled back to my direction. "That night! You were acting funny, you didn't even ask who it was! You knew!"

I saw her golden eyes fall on my mother, and I prayed silently that she wouldn't yell. "You know don't you? About me being a werewolf?" She whispered to her.

"Why of course, dear. I changed you." Eve's jaw hit the wooden floor of the porch; she swayed a bit, and I stood, reaching for her, but she backed away.

"I-I can't believe this," She muttered, and bolted for the forest. I could only stand there, guilty and angry at myself.

The last thing I heard her say was: "You lied."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My wolf was seething.

He lied. She kept saying. He lied to you. To us.

I know! I yelled at her. I know, I know, I know!

I was just as bitter as her, and as soon as I reached the edge of the forest, I shifted smoothly. Then, I ran.

I had no idea where I was going, but I needed to let off some steam. Rye had lied to me. He was my mate. Mate's do not lie to each other. Ever.