Chapter Nine.

Rye sat stock-still in the driver seat, and I was slightly worried about him. "Don't worry, I'll take care of this. Stay here," I told him; he shot me a curious look, but nodded.

I unbuckled and slipped out of the black Chevy. Instantly, I shifted; turning to the truck, I saw Rye shiver.

Jo, sir. I greeted my Alpha male.

Eve. Jo nodded his wolf head slightly. Who is the boy?

That is Rye; my boyfriend. He is a Hunter. I explained.

Why does he know? The Alpha's voice boomed in my head, and I cowered slightly.

He is my mate. Jo nodded. I assume that is not the only reason you are here?

Jo's black eyes flashed with something I could not decipher. You are correct. We have been informed of the man hunting you. Jo stopped when I dipped my head in fear.

Do not worry, young wolf. We protect our pack, and you are family. You and your mate are protected. He assured me.

How will you protect me? I am a Flash and Rye is a Hunter. I shot defensively at him, but then I added, sir.

You both shall come and meet the rest of the pack. Or some of them. A few will watch your house and surrounding woods. Jo explained and I nodded as he continued to tell me where Rye and I were to meet the pack.

Thank you, sir. I obliged.

You must come tomorrow night, when the moon is at it's highest. Midnight. Again I nodded, and then proceeded to the truck.

When I had shifted and sat safely in the front seat, I turned to see my Alpha gone. I looked at Rye, but he seemed unfazed.

"Um, we have plans at midnight tomorrow," I told him quietly. He nodded and stepped on the gas, a blank look in his deep blue eyes.

We drove home in complete and utter silence. I was alert since the reminder of the man hunting me, and I kept my eyes peeled for any sight of him.

When we reached my large home it was dark and empty. I silently climbed the dark stairs and went into my room to change into some pajamas. After I was comfortably snuggled into my bed, I waited for Rye. I heard him walking around downstairs, and listened as he retreated up the flight of stairs to the upstairs loft.

However, he didn't come into my room. I listened intently as he made his way down the dark hallway to the guest bedroom; I gasped in shock. Rye always stayed in my room when he spent the night.

I decided to leave him alone. But after about an hour, I couldn't resist. I padded quietly down the hallway to Rye's room. When I came to his closed door, I stood there, debating with myself. Eventually, I slid the door open, and it widened with a slight creak. Standing in the dark doorway, I looked at the lump of blankets on the queen sized bed; a quiet tear slid down my face. Rye had been back for two days, and he was already upset with me.

It's a new record, I thought to myself as I walked slowly to my bedroom.

Suddenly, two strong arms were around my waist, and a hand clamped over my mouth as a small shriek escaped. I wriggled in the arms of my captor, but my struggles slowed when I listened to the voice.

"Shh," it whispered in my ear. "It's alright. I didn't mean to scare you, babe."

Where had I heard that voice before? I thought, frantically searching my mind. It wasn't Rye, that's all I knew.

"It's only me," the voiced whispered again. I started to thrash, but I was pinned to the body behind me.

My wolf was terrified and confused. I managed to join our strength and yank the hand on my mouth away. "Rye!" My voice sounded strangled.

"Rye? Who's Rye?" Even with my eyesight I could only make out the tall, muscular shape of the man who had grabbed me. I inhaled and a sharp scent entered my brain.

Wolf.

Before my captor could ask again, Rye's bedroom door flew open with a loud CLANG. I watched as Rye appeared behind the stranger and his large fist connected with the man's temple. My abductor crumpled to the floor.

Rye pulled me to him, and I bit my lip to attempt to control the silent stream of tears that slid down my cheeks. We stood there in the hallway, clutching each other as the stranger lay unconscious on the soft carpet.

"H-He's a wolf," I finally stuttered.

Rye released me and checked the man's pulse. He picked him up, not gently, and carried him easily down the stairs to the living room. I followed in silence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I flung the huge man onto the couch and heard Sketch stifle a gasp from behind me. I turned to her. "This moron just tried to kill you, and you expect me to be all nice and fuzzy to him?" I growled at her. She shrank back into the shadows of the stairs.

"He didn't try to kill me," I barely heard her whisper.

"Then explain to me what he did try to do," I demanded harshly.

"He called me babe," her voice barely audible. "I don't think he wanted to hurt me."

"He called you WHAT."

"Babe," she mumbled.

My temper flared; I needed to get some air. I opened the kitchen door, and ran out of it, slamming it behind me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stared at the door Rye had just slammed. He had left me. Alone. With a man that had just appeared in my house in the middle of the night. A sob bubbled in my chest, and fresh tears trickled down my face.

"What the...?" I heard the man mutter. He tried to sit up, but failed. "Ow."

I rushed to his side. "Are you alright? Oh my gosh, you're bleeding!" I choked out. "Stay here, I'll be right back."

I bustled off to the kitchen, flipping on lights as I searched for a wash cloth and some ice. Once I had dampened the cloth, and filled a plastic bag with freezing cold ice, I hurried back to the injured man.

When I entered the living room, the man was propped up on a pillow, and his eyes were drooping. I switched on the lamp, and sucked in my breath at his wound. "Oh my...".

I set the bag of ice on the nearest table and slid down to the floor next to the couch. "Mister?" I asked him. "What's your name?"

"Lance," he muttered, groaning in pain as i cleaned his wound. "What happened?"

"I'm Eve," was all I could say, because quite frankly, I had no idea what happened either.

I looked into his gray eyes. He was quite attractive. He was maybe eighteen and really muscular. His hair was a deep gold that fell over his eyes.

"Eve," he whispered. Then his eyes lit up. "Eve."

"Yes?"

"My Eve," Lance said.

"Um, no. I have a mate," I told him, but the thought of Rye made my heart ache.

"Yes, it's me," announced Lance.

"NO, it's me," Rye proclaimed from behind me, and I jumped; I hadn't heard him come in.