Chapter Sixteen.

Rye and Rayon took the man to the Pack House, leaving me and Tempest scared and alone.

"Well, love y'all, too," I said for the hundredth time that afternoon. My hand was wrapped around my phone in a death grip that had my palm sweating. Tempest sat in nervous silence, every so often looking down at the screen of her phone as if she was willing it to ring.

I paced the length of my big bedroom. Tempest ran her dark hand through her course curls over and over. Sighing, I sat on the end of my made bed, only to return to my incessant pacing.

I had changed into a pair of ripped black sweatpants and a blue t-shirt. Tempest was wearing a t-shirt I had snagged from my dad's dresser, and the jeans she had come in. Her form fitting tank top was too frilly for the agonizing task of waiting for our mates to return.

The silence was so thick that I had to practically push my way through it as I walked. Tempest was curled up in a big, plush, black arm chair I had in the corner of my room. She was staring at my blue and gray striped wall; not sighing, or mumbling to herself like I was, just staring.

Tempest was not the skinniest of the bunch. Her big chest and small waist gave her the perfect hourglass figure. Her big hazel eyes and even bigger attitude told you she was not one to be messed with. Huge, dark curls framed her heart shaped face and her plump red lips were set in such a way that it gave her a natural look of authority.

BUZZ! My phone blared through the silence, causing both Tempest and I to jump. I looked at the caller ID that read: Mother. I groaned.

"Hello?" I tried to sound cheerful, but Tempest's grimace told me that my acting was not good.

"Eve, dear. How are you?" My mother chirped into the phone. I rolled my eyes, earning a grin from Tempest.

"Fine," I said shortly.

"Watch the attitude," Mom barked. "We're on our way home. We'll probably-Jessica Diane, I am on the phone!-arrive around noon tomorrow."

I nodded, but I remembered she couldn't see me. "That's great! I've missed you!" I said, shaking my head in a definite 'no'.

"What have you been up to?"

"Oh, just hanging out with Rye," I paused, practically seeing Mom's eyes roll. "but tonight Tempest and I are...hanging out." I looked over at the girl, and she mouthed: "If that's what you call this." I choked back a giggle.

"Oh, that's great, honey! Tell her I say "hello"!"

"My mom says "hi"," I tell Tempest without even removing the receiver from my ear.

"Hey, Mrs. Richardson!" Tempest yells over to me. My mom's laughter filters in through the device.

"Oh, your father wants to speak to you," and as she hands him the phone, I hear, "Jessica, how many times do I have to tell you..."

"Hey, Eve," my father said.

"Hi, Daddy," said my not-so-cheerful voice. "How's it going?"

"Oh, well, you know, spending three days in Miami," he paused, and I could hear the smile in his voice. "It's been nice. But we've missed you."

"I've missed you, too. It's been a long three days."

"Well, we'll be home soon. Love you." My dad sounded so tired.

"Drive safe. Love you." With that, I hung up the phone, giving Tempest a long, tired look.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~