Chapter Twenty-One.

"Rye! Stop! You are making me nervous!" Eve whined from her perch on the open beams of her mile-high ceiling. I looked up at her dangling feet.

"Says my girlfriend, who's sitting in her ceiling," I grumbled, and continued to pace the length of Eve's room. I turned when I heard the quietest thud of Sketch's bare feet hitting her floor. She grabbed my shoulders and looked me in the eye.

"Why are you nervous?" She questioned.

"Because you are," was all I said.

"I am not!"

"Are too," I argued, "I can feel it." After a moment of staring intensely at me, Sketch sighed, rolled her eyes, and freed my shoulders. I watched her climb her bookcase and swing onto a wooden beam with extraoridnary ease. "I am nervous."

"Why?" She cooed.

"Because," I found myself struggling to find the words, so I put it aside and said, "my mate is dangling twenty-four feet in the air."

She smiled my favorite smile, but I could tell she wasn't going to let it go. Not yet.

However, she surprised me with her next question. "Can I Shift in midair?"

"What do you mean?"

"Let's just say that I was going to jump from this beam, would I be able to Shift before I hit the ground?"

"Well I suppose so-but I would rather-" was all I got out before she stood and jumped from her place in the ceiling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had about one second to think before I either Shifted or landed face first.

Shift. I told my wolf. Within a spilt second of my order, I was small red-brown wolf tumbling through the air, at a strangely slow speed, towards my bedroom floor. I landed with the grace of a newborn pup.

I let out a small "humph" of disorientation, but I soon found my legs again and was able to walk to my laughing mate.

"That was...graceful," He managed to say.

I was just curious! I whined, using my most pitiful voice. I backed away when he tried to come towards me, and I soon found myself cornered like a pathetic deer. My wolf did not take this lightly.

She took control and pounced on Rye, but he managed to Shift before a landed on him. He rolled on top of me and I took a playful swipe at his snout. I wriggled under his snow white body, but  the fact that he was three times bigger than me made my attempts useless.

The soft creaking of the garage opening three floors below us caused my heart to stop. I looked into Rye's navy eyes for a split second before he, and his weight, disappeared. I Shifted back into myself, grabbed a book, and curled up in my chair.

"Eve!!" I heard a cry from downstairs, most likely my sister. "Come help me!"

I carefully flew down the two flights of stairs to find a stack of very large suitcases with a pair of tan legs sticking out of them.

"Hey," I said to the suitcases.

"Hi," they replied grumpily, and I grabbed a few from the top, revealing my sister's head. "Thanks."

I snorted and managed to grab a bag before it fell from her left hand. She huffed and repositioned the bags under her arms and the handle of one in her mouth. "How mush stuff doesh that woman needsh?" Jessie mumbled around the bag.

"That's all hers?" I feigned surprise.

Jessica only nodded, seeming to spot my mother before I did.