Chapter Thirteen.

Seeing the world from a wolf's perspective for the first time is a bit mind boggling. After I shifted, I stood stock still, staring at my father and Matias. Everything seemed so much clearer; I could make out the fine frown lines on Matias's worn forehead, and the creases around my father's wide blue eyes.

A small grin finally slid across my father's tan face. "I was wondering when it was going to happen."

"He's not even eighteen yet!" My mother's rich voice floated from the open back door. "I just don't understand..." Shaking her head, she disappered into the kitchen of our little house.

"It's the absence of his mate," I heard Matias explain, shooting me a bitter look. I bared my huge teeth at him. "Sometimes the stress will call a wolf early; this can help us locate Eve and my daughters." Matias was always so formal, unlike his bozo of a son who acted like everything in the world revolved around him just because his father is the Beta.

I walked toward my father, but a golden wolf with gray eyes jumped between the Alpha and myself, blocking him.

Stand down! The wolf growled.

Lance? I asked the gold wolf; a chuckle formed in the back of my throat. You really think I would attack my own father?

Lance's jaw dropped, literally. Father?

I nodded my huge white head. It was then that I noticed how much larger I was than Lance. His nose came up to my shoulders; his gray eyes flickered with fear and respect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hi, Eve!" Ivory chirped, her wings fading from sight; I gaped stupidly. Her blond eyebrows rose, then she seemed to understand. "Oh. The wings."

I shook my head. "Dragons? You can shift into dragons, and I get a wolf?" I exclaimed with a laugh. The embarassment faded from the twins faces and they laughed with me. The two waltzed over to me, and they each took a hand.

Ebony's black ringlets and pale eyes were so much different from Ivory's blond board straight hair and dark silver eyes, that if you didn't look closely, you would think they weren't even related. However, when studied carefully, you could make out the small things that set them together rather than apart. The two girls each had waist long hair that never seemed to get in their way, and huge moon-like eyes that gave them an innocent look; perfectly arched eyebrows and ski-slope noses gave the girls model worthy appearances. Their lips were full and curved ever so slightly in a natural smile, and the prettiest pale pink that any girl would want.

"Well, you were changed by Rye's mother, and we have the Shift in us naturally," Ebony explained as we walked down an unseen path; they seemed to know where they were going, so I didn't question.

"People with the Shift don't necessarily change to wolves, unless they are bitten by a werewolf," Ivory added, skipping lightly on my left side, her blond hair waving prettily in the slight breeze. "Like you."

"But Lance, and your father," I wondered aloud. Ebony smiled.

"Normally, the males get the 'wolf gene', while the girls do get the Shift, yet their..." Ebony's face twisted in confusion. "I can't remember the word."

"Appearance. Our appearance is undecided until about five years old," Ivory finished, rolling her silver eyes at her sister.

"Five?" I gasped, smiling as Ebony stuck out her tongue at her sister.

"Yeah, that's when our Shift starts," said Ivory. "Just little things though. Speed, agility, stuff like that."

"Well, we'll never be as agile as you," Ebony said dreamily. "Ivory, have you seen what Eve can do?"