Chapter 11

You thanked 'Jake' for his help and grab your bag off him. You couldn't seem to shake John from your head, the way he moves, how he stood, the strange way he was always moving his hands...

A couple of questions had been thrown your way while you were watching John, mainly things like, 'so, how's life treating you old chap?', 'Did you know I actually cut a lot of my hair last weekend? It used to be a lot longer...' And other useless things like that.

To put it frankly, you didn't care if it was her her fucking condensendence herself, you didn't care when he'd had his hair cut. Or about his friends. His hobbies. What he was going to wear to prom. What he wanted to be when he was older.

Many of the questions bounced over your head, if you caught an odd chunk you would nod your head or shake it and he would continue on. Bro said that you had a knack for tuning people out but always ended up saying the right thing at the right time. Lucky for you.

If the middle of a completely different discussion, Jake randomly said, 'so, what do you think about John, poor lad must have had his skull melted by that stare of yours.' You turned your head so sharply to the right that thought your neck would snap, how had he'd known you were staring? Why did he want to know? Was he onto your suspicious behaviour already? Did he have you figured out, found out what team you played for?

Of course not, he was just curious about why you kept staring at him.

Obviously Dave, it was nothing else.

The thing is, you've been gay for as long as you can remember, but you used to think you batted for the other team, if only partially. You think the only real time you noticed was when you and your 'friends' were on the beach, checking out the women and whistling to the hot ones. They usually got a glare from the lady and you smiled apologetically to them. Even though all your friends were laughing and having fun, you didn't think they were all that appealing, you much preferred looking at the men on the beach and smiling at them instead. Your friends didn't really seem to care, there were girls everywhere so it was easy to pass it off as still looking at women.
Bro really didn't seem to care about who you liked, he personally didn't care about the gender, so if you did come out to him then you suppose he was in no position to judge you.

Even though you haven't came out to him (yet) you think he already suspected you, and your love lives weren't really something you talked about anyway, so it was easy to just do whatever you wanted and not really care about the consequences. You knew you were going to talk to him eventually.

Jake wasn't the kind of guy you would go for, all up in your face and cheery all the time. Sometimes you just needed a dose of reality, something someone like Jake wouldn't really be able to give. Besides, he probably had loads of friends, dating him would mean you'd basically never see him. He probably wasn't even gay anyway.

Jake just stared at you and you stared back, what were you supposed to say? Oh, I was just checking John out and seeing what his deal was. No! Everyone here looked homophobic anyway, its probably just best to join the crowd at this point, try to stay on Jakes good side for a while. 'I was just seeing what he was doing, maybe find a weakness or two.'

'Rlly? It totes looked like u were checking him out' Roxy leaned over the table, cutting Rose off mid sentence to join your conversation. 'Seriously, how long u been staring at that guy!'

You just looked at Rose for help. She looked up and tried to cover for you 'I'm sure Dave was just staring in his general direction, not at him'.

'I don't think so Rosie'

'Me neither'

Thanks Rose. She just looked at you and shrugged, looks like you are going to have to find a way out of this yourself. You has just opened you mouth to speak when Jake cut you off, a hand reached for your glasses. 'Why are you even wearing them? The lights aren't even that bright, you mustn't be able to see anything!

You instantly recoiled at his touch and your hand shot up to realign your shades, which had been pushed slightly of center.

Who did these people think they were? You had just met them a couple of hours ago! There wasn't any point risking them almost being taken off again or being questioned, so you quickly excused yourself and headed straight for the door.

But looking back at it,you know it wasn't their fault, they didn't know what you were hiding.

In passing, John had turned slightly, seen you leaving and smiled to you as a small goodbye so he didn't cut Vriska off.

You had almost melted into you shoes, but managed to stop yourself until you turned the corner and out of sight, your mouth widened into a foolish grin.

Then you pulled out your phone to ask Bro to pick you up.