Chapter Eleven

I wake up to howling. I look and notice that Elisabeth is still asleep. I stand up and listen. I hear the howling again but it’s not a normal wolf howl. Another were? I think to myself. I kneel down and lift Elisabeth up gently. I drop down in front of her room as Jessica comes walking by. She jumps back looking scared. 

“What the hell are you doing?” She whispers, and then she notices Elisabeth. “You’ve got to be kidding me,” She says pulling back to smack me. 

“Its not what you think.” I explain quickly. “We fell asleep on the roof and I am taking her back to her room.” I turn to the side. “Will you grab the key from my pocket and open the door?” She looks at me with doubt in her eyes. “Just do it.”

She grabs the card and unlocks the door. I walk in and set her on the empty bed in the room. I cover her up and walk out. I shut the door without a sound then turn to Jessica. “What are you doing up at…” I look at my watch. “2:30 in the morning?” I ask her. 

“Well I heard that howl and decided to check it out,” She says turning to walk away. I follow. 

“I’m headed that way myself.” I tell her. She starts to head north. “Wrong way,” I tell her pointing west. “The sound came from that way.” 

“Are you sure?” She asks. 

“The wind makes it sound as if it’s coming from the north.” I explain starting to head in the direction of the sound. “Trust me on this one.” She follows me and I look back at her. “If we shift we can get there faster,” I suggest.  She nods and shifts into her wolf form. She is a white wolf with a black back and black spot on her face and icy blue eyes. I smile. I shift into my wolf form, raven black fur that seems to glint blue when the moonlight hits it just right with blood red eyes. 

She takes off at a sprint and I catch up and take the lead. I’m slowing it down so I don’t leave her too far behind. After about 5 minutes of running we hear the howl getting closer. I look at Jessica and we both howl back. I hear something from far off coming toward us. I bark to Jessica telling her to be ready for a fight. 

We come to a clearing just as a wolf that is silver with a sliver of what looks to be a moon on its forehead steps out of the woods opposite of us. I shift back into my human form and notice its smell. It seems familiar. When I look into its eyes something hits me. I flashback to when I was 8, right after I got out of that horrible hospital. 

I’m walking down the street in wolf form growling at people when they get too close. I turn the corner and come face to face with this other wolf. We start to growl at one another. He takes up an offensive stance while I take a defensive stance. He lunges at me and I dart under his belly turning around as he lands. By the time he realizes I’ve moved, I’ve got him pinned to the ground by the back of the throat. He whimpers submitting to me. 

I let him go and he shifts into human form. He stands up and looks at me. “You can change now,” He tells me. “I’m just like you.” I shift into my human form and he notices that I’m taller then him. “How old are you?” He asks me thinking I’m older then him. 

“8.” I tell him. His jaw drops. “How old are you?” I ask.

“11,” he says after getting over his shock. “How did you learn to move like that?” He asks. 

“I’ve always been this fast,” I tell him. “My name’s Axle. What’s yours?” 

“Damon.” He says. “Well since you beat me I’ll follow you as your omega,” He says.

“What do you mean?” I ask confused.

“It means that I will follow your orders because you are my alpha.”