Eleven-Fifty-Nine

Eleven-Fifty-Nine

Laurel sipped the coffee from her favorite ceramic mug, not minding how bitter it was, or how the heat of it burnt her tongue. She must not get overboard and edgy, and a cup of coffee would prevent her from doing so. She heaved a sigh as she placed the mug down and shifted her gaze to the window. There she saw the moon, with all its beauty, and she couldn't help but to be amazed by it.

"It's just you and me tonight, like always," she smiled as she told the moon, as if she's waiting for a respond from it. She opened her laptop, went to the Microsoft Word application and began fiddling her fingers on the keyboard. But every time she tries to write a sentence, her mind stops and words cannot come out of her. It's like her arsenal of words went blank.

With a heavy heart, she closed her laptop and went to bed and tried to sleep. Her mind started to go off somewhere, remembering things that she swore she would never think about ever again. She raised her left hand and looked at the silver ring on her ring finger.

She couldn't contain the happiness she was feeling. Everybody that she loved was there - her family, her friends, and her fiancée, Jay - for their engagement party.

She kept on looking at the engagement ring Jay gave her. It was plain and simple yet it looked elegant, just like how Jay would describe her.

Jay went to her and wrapped his arms around her waist, "They told me you had something for me?" he asked.

She nodded, "Yep, I have something. But you need to stay here and I'll go get it in my car.," she added.

Jay nodded and removed his arms from her and went to the other side of the room to entertain the other guests, as she walked outside the room and went to her car.

Laurel knew how much Jay loved basketball so he would give him a pair of shoes, a personalized jersey and a ball signed by Lebron James. She reached her car and was about to open the door when she heard a strange noise from the house. It was like a howling wolf, but a lot louder. The howl was followed by the screams of the people inside.

She couldn't do anything but to just sit down and cover her ears while her tears were flooding uncontrollably.

When the noises subsided, she went inside only to find the body of everyone she loved mutilated. There were blood everywhere, she immediately went to Jay's body and she broke down when she saw him lifeless, eyes opened, and holes were found on his neck.

A rustling sound came from behind her and when she turned around, a big wolf with white fur and green eyes met her gaze. It snarled at her then speeded off.

"I've read too many Twilight-ish novels, dammit. I'm losing my head," Laurel laughed at herself as she went under her sheets.

She considered everything that happened that night a dream, or a nightmare, that she should forget.

***

If there is something that Laurel would regret, it is waking up every day to a world which she want to leave. It's like every day is a reminder of all the things she lost before and that she would always be alone.

She got up from bed and went to the bathroom. She turned the shower knob clockwise and let the water from the shower head wash her from her face down to every part of her body. She sat down, hugging her knees, rocking her body back and forth. She wasn't thinking of anything except that she wanted to leave the world already and be with her loved ones.