Abigail

ABIGAIL

If there's one thing I wouldn't dare to disclose, it is myself. I've been hiding for so long that I've learned to blend entirely. But Richard, an old flame was the only person who knew about me and he was an everyday victim of my pretense.

Such pretense that have led us to our downfall.

-

The busy streets of Santo Rosario, Cebu was a trend and it wouldn't be Santo Rosario without it being busy from dawn until midnight. I have to take a taxi on my way to work and it is seriously an inconvenience for my everyday budget. I guess even when you work in a job that pays well, impracticality is still not advisable for an independent woman like me. Who is single and lives alone. I ran away from home when I was fifteen after knowing what I inherited. Until then, I've learned to strive in every nook and cranny of hardship. Next month would be my 35th birthday and I still strived, much harder this time.

A white cab paused in front of me and I told him my desired destination as he lowered the passenger's window. He agreed immediately and I went inside the car and sat on the passenger seat.

"Agi ta streyt, mam o liko sa wala?" he said, asking me if I wanted the straight or the left lane.

"Kung asay duol, kuya. Gadali man gud ko ron." I urged him to have it his way as long as it's near because I'm in a hurry. We became silent after that.

His radio played the song 'Inside out' by The Chainsmokers and the sound of it stirred an emotion I wouldn't want to admit.

Richard. . .

We were covered in sheets and both naked beneath it. I felt sated after hours of making love to him. But I feel terrible at the same time. I admit, I've always lost my control whenever my emotions are heightened. But despite of the deep scratches all over his body because of me, he still understood and he even smiled.

"I'm sorry," I traced my fingertips on the side of his wounds and underneath those wounds were the scars I still inflicted. The sight made me want to cry in guilt. "Oh dear, Richard---"

He only chuckled and showered me with butterfly kisses on my face. He was always like that whenever I hurt him and feel guilty.

I blinked the memory as if it was a mist that invaded my eyes. I shifted my attention to the meter instead and sighed as the price increased to a hundred. Great, there goes my Jollibee lunch.

My morning was a pile of irate calls but despite of it, I handled the customers well. My temper was already conditioned to public's complaint and I had to stretch my patience even if I'm tempted not to anymore.

One moment, another call I had to take and I answered it with the same friendly tone. But I was cut off when I heard the other line was a woman crying.

"H-Hello, ma'am may I ask if you're---"

"Please, Miss help me, my credit has been seized and it is my husband's surgery. I have to pay six hundred dollars in downpayment. Please!"

"You may calm down, Ma'am if you could---"

"No! My husband had an accident! The train went out of control and hit the barricade at the last station! The doctor said he had only one percent to live. . ."

The line suddenly went dead and I was stunned by what she told me. I suddenly felt a sense of panic.

I ended the call. . .I ended the call!

"Abigail!"

I didn't even got startled that my team leader yelled at me and I stood up from my seat, my surroundings were stirring slowly.

"I...uh..."

"Abigail! Just what do you think you were doing?! Why did you end the call---"

Voices are starting to invade my ears.

"You'll be all right, Abigail."

". . .Abigail," her voice suddenly changed in a concerned tone. "Are you all right?"

"I. . ."

"You should take a break, you look like hell." She touched my arm and I felt like the air was leaving my lungs. No, no, I'm not. . .

I ran.

My throat felt dry and my entire body suddenly felt numb.

I have to escape.

I ran like crazy to search for a place to hide and the first thing that came to mind was the rest room. When I found one, I went inside and there was no one inside. I took the advantage to lock the door.

"Don't be like this, Abigail!"

The inner beast in me growled and I looked at the mirror. My eyes were gleaming like silver and they looked horrifying.

I was fine during the day, but the fact that tonight will be the moon's fullest made me feel the stirrings within me. It's slightly uncomfortable but I could manage. I could control it. Usually.

Rage... so deep seated no one could calm me. Rage at that bitch, rage at what Richard did. Driven more by jealousy...

I could hear the bitch moaning and pleading at me to stop, but sorry for her, no one's gonna hear her...

"Hey, Abigail, are you alright?" I was a bit startled at the knocks at the door. I had already forgotten that I'd lock it. My sense of hearing heightened. I could even hear my team leader's heartbeat. My nostrils flared at the heightened smell.

"I-I'm alright, Dana. Just... just give me a minute..."

"I don't want to become one!" I shouted at my mother after she explained what I was. I looked at my soiled hands. Dried blood . I tried to remember what happened the previous night. Mother warned me not to go outside but Caloy, my playmate, insisted I should come with him at the clearing to see the full moon for he said it would be the biggest this year. Then I remembered his frightened face looking at me. I remembered him running. I remembered myself chasing after him. I remembered reaching for him, me closing the distance between us, then...

"No... no! Nooo!"

"Abigail, it's not your fault!"

"Don't touch me!" The hurt expression of my mother was the last I saw of her as I ran away from that nightmare.

I tried to steady my breath. "Control it... control it..."

"I-it's never your fault, Abigail," Richard said between ragged breaths. Richard, my dear Richard. Yes, it's my fault. It's my fault for running out of control because of my jealousy. It's my fault for being so strong I could send anyone flying with a flick of my hand. It's my fault. All my fault that I ended up killing you...

I closed my eyes tight, and inhaled through my nose. No, I couldn't afford losing control. I tried my hardest to summon happy memories...

"You're a what?!" I flinched at his words. It's all over. Richard would leave me now. Who wouldn't when you found out that the girld you're making love to was a werewolf?

"That's... that's cool! Wow, really!"

I blinked at his reaction.

"Well, that explains the roughness," he laughingly said and winked at me.

XxX

"Let me help you with the temper, though. Now, repeat after me..."

"I am Abigail Llobo, now 35 years old... a strong woman... Richard's lover... and his all throughout eternity... as he is mine until my breath ceases..."