A Mother's Plea

A MOTHER'S PLEA

They say a witch usually has a recollection of their past life's memories.

I wonder whether this story is true to every witch in our town or not. I wonder if there is someone else like me who didn't have one.

Because I can't really recall anything about my past life; I have no idea if the turn of events in my present life is a result of something I did in my past life. Maybe I had been an evil witch in the past or maybe I did something unforgivable, like calling a demon to serve him in exchange of immortality.

Maybe this life is my returning karma.

I watch as Emma fidgets her fingers. A habit she always does when she is nervous. Beside her, Aria is tied tightly in her bed as she struggles in pain like she's being tortured.

I fight back the tears forming in my eyes.

I look at the clock; the moon will soon change its phase. Lady Bridgette, one of the greatest healers in Clementine, prepares the candles and the circle for the ritual. Aria begins to shake violently, but Emma seems to be more scared of what they have to do with her than her sister nearly dying.

I understand her. And I understand if she would resent me for persuading and convincing her again to do this for her sister when in fact she didn't have to.

She even asked me if she has to do it tonight.

I told her this would be the last time. Something I am not really sure of.

It is all I could do.

If only this curse can be passed on to me, I would gladly take it just so it is I that has to die.

But it doesn't work that way. We can't choose who will inherit the curse-that in every generation, someone has to feel the pain and die the same way as Valentine did when she turns 18 and the moon is at its full phase. They say the curse was laid upon our family by Valentine, the first witch in the history who was sentenced to die by electrocution, because our ancestors betrayed her. It was said that this curse was her last words.

For years, no one in our family was able to survive. No one was able to find a way to break the curse. My mother was able to survive from it for as long as fifty three years because she used black magic. But using the black magic, everything backfired on her. Calling a demon and serving it for the rest of your life isn't something you can take back when you change your mind. My sister Claude died just when she turned eighteen.

I have consulted Lady Bridgette about this curse and asked her if she can do something about it so we can end it. She didn't find anything that can break the curse, but she finds a way to somehow keep Aria alive. And that is to bind Aria and Emma's life momentarily when the moon changes its phase into full. By this way, Aria and Emma becomes one, sharing the same pain, but it makes the curse void because it's not just Aria's life.

It's just we can't do it permanently because it would violate the Laws of a Life.

And I know it was so unfair for Emma. It feels like I gave her a life just to steal it.

Each time I look at her I am drowned in the sea of guilt. I hate myself for letting her suffer. I hate myself because I am sacrificing the life of the other for another. It breaks my heart to see one of them suffering a curse she know nothing of, and the other sharing the same pain and struggle.

But as their mother, I have to do everything to keep them both alive.

***

A mother just wants the best for her children.