-25-

The moment Lyra walked into the old steel mill, she felt it - death. There had been numerous murders that had taken place right where she stood. She was immediately overwhelmed by remorse and fear as she walked through the darkness of the abandoned building.

Tears fell from her eyes, trailing down her hot cheeks in desperation as she remembered what had flashed through Olivia's mind.

Lyra had no one to call for help. Her father would use the opportunity as leverage for his own personal use of the baby; her mother would most likely face death if she called for her aid.

Olivia was powerful - more powerful than Ares himself. Lyra had no way of getting in touch with Roman or Peter; and they were her only chance of survival.

Lyra's shoe caught the end of a steel beam. Her foot, stuck; feeling the weight of her body pull away from her hip joint as she tumbled to the ground.

She winced at the pain, trying to pull her foot out from under the beam. She tucked her leg in, feeling the repercussions of the fall. Lyra didn't have to stand to know she would have trouble walking for a while.

Her face began to sting as fresh tears sprang from her eyes - she had cut the left side of her face when taking the tumble. She giggled through the soft cries, thinking of the possibility of contracting tetanus. She knew how silly it was to think of such a thing, considering she wouldn't live much longer anyway.

Lyra's eyes caught sight of something shining on the ground. She got on her hands and knees and began crawling toward the small light. When realizing it was only a puddle reflecting the light of the half moon through the window, Lyra groaned. She wasn't sure what she thought it was, but felt it necessary to look. She didn't want her last thought before dying to be wondering what that light had been before succumbing to her death.

A light shined bright through the chain fence surrounding the windows at the front of the steel mill - headlights. Lyra's breath quickened at the sight, knowing it was Olivia Godfrey, coming to kill her. Lyra closed her eyes; for the first time, she felt like praying.

An image of Roman flashed in her mind of him smiling. It was a rare occurrence, but Lyra had seen it a time or two. She held onto the feeling it gave her; the warmth in her chest that lingered between her hips, where the baby was growing.

She thought about telling Olivia that she was pregnant with Roman's child, hoping that would somehow change her mind about what she was about to do.

"Lyra!" Roman's voice called out, causing Lyra's eyes to shoot open at the sound of his voice.

A wave of relief washed over her, wanting nothing more than to run toward the voice. Lyra tried to stand, but the pain in her hip caused her to drop back down, nearly falling into the puddle.

"Roman!" She screamed, trying to stand again. Lyra saw the outline of Roman's tall frame as he marched toward her; the headlights shining through the window glowing behind him, making him look like a faceless angel.

Roman dropped to his knees, grabbing Lyra's shoulders, "Are you okay... are you hurt?" He asked, his hand leaving her shoulder to cup her face. Lyra nodded, speechless.

"M-my leg." She managed to say.

Roman didn't need an explanation; he picked Lyra up, putting her on her feet. He draped her arm across his shoulders, his arm snaked around her waist as he guided her out of Castle Godfrey and toward the headlights of his running vehicle.

She wondered what he was doing there; how he knew where she was and that she needed him. It didn't matter - all that mattered was that he had found her.