Memory Loss

Amaan got up and headed out. He felt like he was torn apart; he felt as if someone had just stepped on his heart.

"Amaan, where are you going?" questioned Aryanna.

"I'll be back" replied Amaan.

"But, Amaan... what has happened in these five years? I can't remember anything! Please tell me! I want to know!" shouted Aryanna.

"Nothing" Amaan said, walking out.

Aryanna stared as he walked out.

"I WANT TO KNOW! WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME?! WHY AM I IN THE HOSPITAL!" Aryanna screamed.

Amaan, Lesley, who had come back from the maternity ward, Safiyah, Haily and Valy all got up, worried.

The doctors came running in.

Aryanna was a wreck. She was screaming, shouting and crying.

"It's alright, calm down" the doctor said; Aryanna wouldn't calm down.

"Get the injection ready" the doctor ordered.

"It's ready" the nurse replied.

Aryanna was given an injection to make her unconcious.

The doctor walked out of the room.

"What happened doctor, is she okay?" Lesley asked.

"She's fine" the doctor replied.

"Then, what is the problem?" Valy asked.

"Listen, you need to calm down, she is alright. But..." the doctor began.

"But what?" they all asked.

"She's lost her memory, due to severe damage to the brain. She cannot recall what has happened in the past few years. This is called Anterograde Amnesia. Anterograde amnesia is a loss of the ability to create new memories after the event that caused the amnesia, which is the accident she has recovered from, leading to a partial or complete inability to recall the recent past, while long-term memories from before the event remain intact. To a large degree, anterograde amnesia remains a mysterious ailment because the precise mechanism of storing memories is not yet well understood" the doctor replied.

Everyone stood still.

"Will she ever be able to remember anything from the past?" asked Lesley.

"It depends. Some patient's memory recover very quickly whereas others take a long period of time or they never recover" the doctor said.

"No, she has to recover!" shouted Amaan.

Valy went up to him.

"It's okay, she'll be fine, she's very strong" Valy said.

"It's all your fault, both of you!" Amaan shouted, pointing at Valy and Haily.

Haily looked down.

"What am I going to do now!" shouted Amaan.

"It's alright, she'll be fine. The doctor said that some patients do recover" Lesley said.

Amaan put his hands over his head.

"Aryanna..." he whispered.