chapter 26

Gabriel pretty much lost his mind when Luke reminded him of Halloween. And then he promptly went insane when I casually mentioned Knox and Zain's annual Halloween party. He had immediately insisted that we attend, though most of us were weary and hesitant about the idea. He probably wouldn't have won this battle if it weren't for the fact that he was so determined and that, apparently, Halloween was his favorite holiday.

My brothers, who weren't fond of me attending the party either, begrudgingly agreed to make the party a masquerade. The idea had come from Kota's brilliant mind, who had thought that it would be hard for anyone to pinpoint I was there if I was wearing a mask. Everyone agreed, especially since we had been reminded of Halloween late and masks were an easy enough costume to pick up. Gabriel was not happy, but he was content enough which was good enough for all of us.

"Gabriellllll," I sang, shifting foot to foot, standing at the bottom of the stairs that lead to Kota's bedroom. "If you don't get your ass down here soon, we're going to be late. To my own brothers' party. What kind of sister would I be? Gabriel, do you want to make me a horrible sister? Because that's-"

"Jesus fucking Christ, okay, Trouble, I'm ready," Gabriel groaned as he ran down the stairs. I smirked at him, taking in pride in the fact that I had annoyed him so much that he had finally graced us with his presence. He rolled his eyes at me then pressed a hard and fast kiss to my lips.

I watched him bustle into the kitchen and giggled, aware that he was about to bother all the boys in an attempt to make sure that they were all ready to go. I brushed my curls away from my face, completely prepared to leave, as I had been for the last hour and a half. Gabriel had picked out a pale pink dress for me that was lace and off the shoulders, flowing out at my waist into pretty folds. My mask matched it, pink and silver, covering the top half of my face.

I was the only one who was dressed really nice besides Owen. The others were dressing casually and just wearing their masks to complete their "costume" much to Gabriel's dismay. He insisted that next Halloween when everything was calmer that we would go all out with costumes and decorating. My heart soared whenever at the fact that they were convinced we would all still be together next year, but my stomach also tied in knots. I couldn't help but look at the what ifs.

What if something happened that prevented us from being together? I couldn't stand the thought of our relationship being ruined by mother and Volto, but I knew that there was the slightest of chances, and it brought tears to my eyes. I didn't ever want to leave my boys.

"Sang? Are you okay?"

I looked up and blinked a few times, startled by Silas looking down at me, his dark eyes curious and concerned. I forced a smile and nodded slowly, sliding my mask off my head and into place, hoping that would conceal my false expression somewhat. He didn't seem that convinced, and in an attempt to distract him I struck up a conversation.

"Are the others ready?" I asked, clenching my fists to keep from squirming. I had so much excess energy and anxiety built up inside me, that I felt like I was vibrating, making it hard to stay still at the moment.

Silas nodded, his expression turning weary, which was how most of us felt. "Yeah, just about. Gabriel and Raven are arguing about something, I don't know what. I just thought I would come check on you before we left. I wanted to make sure you really want to go to this... We won't go if you want to."

His face was open and honest, making it obvious that he truly cared about my opinion on this. Part of me wanted to blurt out that I would prefer to stay home and watch all the zombie movies that Nathan wanted, but the larger part of me that knew how badly Gabriel wanted to go and how badly Micah and Marie wanted to see me, won out.