Chapter 3

~Lola~

My eyes fluttered open as I heard police sirens going down the road, revealing the red and white room that I now called home. There was something missing though. I looked to my left and was disappointed when I realised that Justin had left.

I sighed then stood up and stretched before walking to my closet, picking out an outfit then getting dressed.

Once I was ready, I walked out my door then down the hall. I didn’t see or hear anyone. Weird.

I walked into the kitchen and looked for some food before my eyes landed on an apple. Perfect!

I made my way into the living room then plopped myself on the couch and turned the TV on, the news was on. The top story was something about a man being found dead in the woods.

‘Police were notified early this morning that a young man had been found dead in the woods. The cause of death is not known although there are suspicions that it was a wild animal as he suffered bites to the neck and claw marks were found on different parts of his body. The victim has been identified as Danny Carney.’ The reporter read as they flashed a picture of him on the screen.

I dropped my apple and stared at the TV with my mouth hanging open. I recognised him from dinner last night. He lived here and that must mean that he was found in the woods around the house. Maybe that’s why everyone isn’t here. Why didn’t they wake me up?

Maybe it was that Ben guy that I heard Justin talking about last night. He said that he wanted revenge and that he just got out of jail. But they said that it was most likely an animal attack. Didn’t Justin mention something about wolves? Maybe they all have pet wolves!

Oh don’t be so stupid Lola. I thought to myself. I was right, who would have a pet wolf? But then what is going on with all of these wolves?

I shook off the thought then picked my apple up and went to throw it in the bin. I froze when I heard a loud crashing sound. It was coming from Justin’s room. I wasn’t sure what to do so I started to slowly walk towards the room. Once I could see inside, I let go of the breath that I didn’t realise I was holding in. It was just Justin.

He must have heard me because he spun around to face me. His eyes were dark, you could barely see any brown and he seemed pissed off. It was terrifying. His expression softened when he saw me and he walked towards me and hugged me. Without even thinking, I hugged him back.

‘Where were you?’ I asked as he pulled away.

‘I was just going for a walk in the woods.’ He said but I could tell that it was a lie.

‘Does this have anything to do with Danny?’ I asked hesitantly, I didn’t want to hit a soft spot.

His expression went back to dark. ‘How did you find out about that?’ He demanded. I took a step back but he stepped forward.

‘It was on the news. Top story.’ I said shakily. I don’t want him to get even madder.

He could tell that I was starting to get a bit freaked out. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes before opening them again to reveal the same chocolate brown ones.

‘Oh.’ Was all he said.

‘They said that it was probably a wild animal, are you sure that its safe for you to be running around in the woods?’ I asked.

He let out a chuckle. ‘Lola, I’ll be safe if I go into the woods and so will everyone else but don’t even think about going near them. Please.’ He begged.