Ch.1

Joeys POV

I open my squeaky old apartment door and run outside. I look around to see my mothers car not in the drive way. I tilt my head slightly and side down the screen door, waiting for my mom to come home.

Me being only 6 I don't really don't know what to do in these situations. Yeah I have a sister but she is always doing her own thing because she is 16.

I'm used to being home alone, I'm used to not being love. I have a tough skin in my opinion, most things don't get to me.

I just smile to myself and look up from my gaze on my knees. I see a butterfly fly across the my porch, making me gasp slightly.

I stand up and jump off of the porch and run across the side walk, following the butterfly.

It flitters over my beat up white fence, landing on a newly bloomed red poppy.

I smile to myself and leap over the fence, making sure not to give myself a splinter.

I lay on my back and watch the butterfly sit on the flower, wings fluttering slightly.

I see a boy pop up in front of my face, making me jump up. "HI!" The raven haired boy says, hand waving over my face. I sit up on the grass and look up at him, tilting my head.

"Hi?" I mumble scratching my head. He holds out his hand to help me up, so I take it and he helps me up. I brush my pants off and look at him, the boy being slightly taller than me.

"Hi my name is Daniel..." the boy says, holding his hands behind his back. I smile slightly, "I'm Joey, nice to meet you." I say.

After hours of running around the yard together and playing pretend even just laughing over nothing. I think I made a friend, I feel something special with Daniel, i can't to actually has a friend.

I jump over Daniels shoulders and roll on the grass, looking up at him. He smiles at me and sits down next to me, looking up at the clouds.

I laugh a little and point at a white fluffy cloud, "look that looks like a puppy!" I giggle out. Daniel just laughs at my comment, "no that's a fish look!" He says, laughing as well.

I just shake my head and hear my mom speed into the drive way. I roll my eyes and sit up covering my face, "daniel you gotta go my mom doesn't like when friends are over..." I mumble, embarrassed. "Aww really?" He says, pouting greatly. "Yeah come back tomorrow..." I say between my teeth, trying not to cry.

I hear him stand up and walk away from me slowly, knowing his head was down. I miss him already, I miss his laugh, I can hear his laugh already.

I don't understand why my mom doesn't like me, it's not fair. But like my mother says.... "life isn't fair."

I drag myself into the house and look at the floor, just waiting for a beating, burning, or even just being yelled at.

I hear my moms hand slam on the old wooden table, knocking off some paper plates. "I saw that boy in the yard...." she says in between her teeth, grinding them together. "Yeah he is my friend..." I mumble, leaning against the slightly damp wall that smelled like alcohol.

"Why are you talking to him? You're not gay are you?" She says more stern, crumbling some of my drawings on the table. "Mom I'm not gay okay?" I say with an attitude, knowing I fucked up.

She throws a beer bottle at me, I duck as it smashes against the wall. The beer and glass falls on and around me.

She comes stomping towards me, picking me up by my arm. She takes a puff of her Newport cigarette before blowing it in my face. She put it on my arm, making me yell, "OW MOMMY STOP IT PLEASE!" I cry out.

She flicks it across the room onto the couch near the other burns on the couch. I don't let tears fall out of my eyes but I know they will fall into my pillow later today.

She gets in my face, I can already smell the alcohol and cigarettes in her breath. "Joesph get smart with me again and I will beat you..." she says, making my heart race.

I don't answer and just stare at the floor. She drops me into the pile of glass and beer, making her way back into the kitchen.

I wipe my face of the spit that landed on it, picking my self up. I look at my knees and see a few shards on them and a few on my elbows.

I dust them off and crawl up the stairs, being week from my heart pumping to fast.

I open the door to my small bathroom, climbing on the sink. I open the cupboard and get the first aid kit.

I let my feet dangle off of the sink and open the alcohol to clean my wounds. I pour some on a cotton ball and place it on my knee, the major burning pain not effecting me at all.

I place bandages on them to stop my bleeding, I feel tears start to brim in my eyes and I run into my room. I jump into my bed and cry into my pillow.

I hate my life, I hate my mom, why does my dad hate me? why does my mom hate me, no one likes me? I am a little kid... all of the people in school always talk about how their mom does everything for them.

One person comes to my mind again and that person was...

Daniel....