Chapter Fifty-Seven

"Finally," Meredith breathed as the last of the people left their Kensington Palace flat and the door closed, "we are alone." She fell onto the couch with her flimsy white dress spreading around her. Jessica and all the others had tried to take it off her, but Meredith wanted them gone. Now that it was just them, she found it so uncomfortable.

Harry laughed and took off his jacket. Collapsing next to her, tiredness threatened to claim him, but his eyes found Meredith, his wife, the Duchess of Windsor. He grinned at her. "Are you tired?"

"I'm relaxed, finally," she muttered. "And how are you? Are you tired?"

"I'm awake when I look at you."

Sighing, Meredith kicked off her shoes. If she could, Meredith wouldn't wear shoes for the next two weeks. With where they were going, it was probable. The white fluff surrounded Meredith, and now spilt onto Harry. The moment the dress came off, the better. This was her chance.

Rolling onto him, Meredith sprawled Harry, hands on his face, lips on his lips. There wasn't a second of shock from Harry as he kissed her back, running his fingers through her blonde hair. Pulling out the hairband, all of her hair flowed down her backside. It shone in the dim light, and for the first time in the day, it was free.

"Let's go upstairs," Meredith said, removing herself from him. "I have something for you."

Taking him by the hand, Meredith led Harry up the stairs and throughout the whole flat. Their master bedroom sat at the end of the long hallway with open rooms along the way. Harry knew what he wanted in there. If he had it his way, it would start tonight. Meredith had a say in it, and she needed time. Harry respected it.

Out of habit, Meredith closed the door, even though no one would enter tonight. "If you wouldn't mind." Meredith brushed her hair off to the side, and Harry gently touched her back. He kissed her on the shoulders, not yet undoing her dress. Goosebumps arose on her burning skin. She shivered.

"You're not cold, are you?"

"Not with you." Meredith turned around, her dress still on. "You're not going to make this easy, are you?"

"I want to worship you."

"I would settle," Meredith turned her back to him again, "for you taking off my dress."

He kissed her shoulder again. "What would I get this?"

She scoffed. "How about not having an angry wife on the first night?" His fingers carefully went for the clasps. "Please, Harry, just take the damn thing off."

"Your wish is my command." His fingers fumbled on the many clasps that ran down her back. Meredith stayed perfectly still for him. When dressing, the women had taken their time and were used to these claps. Harry didn't have the training that they had, and when the final clasp came undone, Harry let out a deep breath.

Carefully Meredith let the dress drop to the ground, and she stepped out of it. Unlike her wedding dress, this was't going in any museum. This dress wasn't meant to remembered like the other. This dress was for Meredith to sweat in, which she did, and undoubtedly it smelt terrible. Already some bits had turned a yellow hue. Crumbled the dress was as Meredith started to undress Harry.

His jacket and tie were already gone, so now it down to his white shirt and pants. Meredith didn't mind taking them off and getting a full view of him. She circled him. A pink blush spread on his cheeks, and Harry closed down a bit.

"Are you nervous, Harry?"

"No." He opened himself up a bit. "But you are looking at me like I'm food, Mere."

She laughed and came to a halt. Standing in front of him, Meredith waited and looked him over. "So, what do you think we should do now?"

Harry pursed his lips. "I have a few things in mind."

"So do I."

"Want to tell me all about them?" Harry took a step forward and kissed her on the mouth.

"Well, knowing you, we have the same few things in mind," Meredith admitted.

"Do we?" Harry paused, biting his bottom lip.

"Yeah, I think both of us just don't want to admit it because we don't want to disappoint."

"Thank God." Rocking back on his heels, Harry sighed. "We go on our honeymoon tomorrow. You can have me then." He vowed with a kiss.

"And you can have me," Meredith promised and kissed him back. "Shower and sleep?"

"Sounds like a plan."

"You go first," she said. "I'll have to be a while in there."

Harry kissed her again and then went into the bathroom, closing the door partially. Soon the shower was turned on and steam rolled out into the master bedroom.

Meredith lied down on the bed, threatening to fall asleep. Her eyes wandered across the ceiling and then around the room. This was all officially hers. Now she was part of the royal family, and all of this was her. While the wedding was over and that weight was off her shoulders, now it was the weight of what came next. Harry took it very seriously, where Meredith found herself only caring sometimes what people thought about her. Everything Meredith touched was now hers, and it was terrifying; she could do actual damage.

Yet Meredith let out a giggle and a sigh, slumping into the bed some more. Since coming to London, she had slept almost every night here, but it felt different now. The bed was roomier and kinder. Maybe it was just the tiredness talking.

"Mere," Harry whispered, climbing into bed beside her, "the shower is open."

She groaned, not wanting to get up, yet she slowly rolled out of bed and made her way to the shower, where she washed the day off. It wasn't a day she would forget anytime soon, but all the sweat and makeup. It was nice to shed all of it. It was way past midnight, thus it was time to take off Cinderella and put back on Meredith.

Coming out of the shower, Harry was somehow still awake, and Meredith climbed into bed next to him. He wrapped his arms around her. "You're still wet."

Meredith laughed and pulled up the covers around them. "I love you, Harry."

"I love you, Mere."