Chapter 7

The trees swayed harder than they did before. The branches started to crack, and twigs snapped out of the main trees. Leaves started to dance, until they flew away, one by one. The trees swayed to the left, remained as it was, and then swayed again. Its roots started to crack. Some soil held by the roots went loose. Then the tree was uprooted. The uprooted tree fell down to a roofless house, metal roof taken by the wind itself. Wandering people started to shield themselves from the extreme wind using umbrellas, but the umbrella flew to the left and the fabric covering turned up. Random plastics and some towels and clothes flew to the left, some even taking underwear. Then the thick fog covered the city of Ganeth.

The strong winds that came from the country of Vaprid Realms, which is now in the hands of The Republic of Shadow Walkers, The Shadows as Deonese and Larkians call it, take with it the radiation it was given by the nuke sent by Todd Crather two years ago. The strong winds often appear every week, so Prime Minister Dark commanded an abrupt evacuation of the people to the island of Raghi. But some of them were left behind, either they didn't want to leave their place, or they were left behind and were not taken from their city ever since.

Some of the Ganethians had learned how to cope with the winds; they built strong, stone houses to cover them up for a day or so. But they weren't enough. The houses only shielded from the strong wind, but the radiation travels within the city before the fog goes out. So Ganethians have learned a tactic.

The Ganethians left have a small population that the Earth doesn't grieve when they vanish. To survive, they created tombs for themselves which have gastanks from which they breath. But they're running out of gastanks right now, and they don't know where to find more.

The city's sirens blared for the fifth time, but the fog had already took place.

"Come on now, Alessia! Go to your tomb!" A woman commanded her granddaughter in a raspy voice.

Alessia looked at her sadly. "Grandma, it's fine. You go there and breath so you can survive."

"No," the old woman insisted and pulled Alessia to the tomb. "I'm old already. I've lived a fulfilling life. But you have a long journey ahead of you. Live for me, Alessia."

She pushed Alessia to the tomb, sending Alessia down. She looked at her grandma who's going to cover her now with a thick stone cover. She held her grandma's hand for the last time.

"I love you, grandma. Thank you for everything." Tears started to form on her eyelids.

Her grandma smiled at her. "I love you, too."

A sudden black smoke suddenly engulfed the room above. All Alessia could do was to be thankful to her grandma. She had done so much for her. She had lived with her ever since her mother died from the Deo and Lark war. She had taught her so much since she was five. She had loved her since her very existence until now.

Nothingness surrounds her now. Nothing to see, nothing to hear, nothing feel, nothing to taste, nothing to smell, well, except for her stinking shirt. She immediately pulled the face mask for the small apartment to her left and put it on. She gasped for air, but she needed to save it for later.

The silence gave her peace. It may be her last day. She may never be in history, but at least she died whilst trying to survive the disaster mankind has made. She gave in to the slumber.

***

Lack of air crawled down to her blood vessels. She heard herself gasping for air. There was nothing in the gas tank anymore. She was bound to die.

"HELP ME!" Her arms slammed on the stone cover, but there was no sound. Her fingers felt the stone cover, and then her whole body started to feel everything. She could feel the burning sensation in her lungs, the excruciating pain in her temples, the need for air of her nerves. The stink of her sweat scowled at her own nose.

"HELP... meeee!"

She grasped the stone cover, and then pushed it up as hard as she could, using her arms and knee. Finally, light. And then air. The smell of rotting flesh and the fog of Vaprid Realms. It all went inside her nose. She grasped the edge of the stone cover and then pushed it. Dammit.

After some time, she finally sat up and panted for air. Air. Air is everything. But mankind contaminated it.

She stood up and saw her grandma's rotting cadaver sitting on a rocking chair, some of her skin mutated into another piece of limb. Part of the house was burnt and some of it was still burning. She ran away from the flaming house, seeing the brightest light she could ever see.

The Ganeth's famous skyscraper had fallen and was on fire, and so were the houses. Ashes flew everywhere.

What the h**l happened while I was inside?

She saw a silhouette pass by, but he was coughing so badly. The skies were so dark and the black fog was still visible.

She waved at the man for him to see her. "Hey!" The man looked at her, and then ran to her.

"Help me!"

She got a clearer sight of the man. It was no other than Faulker, her ex boyfriend. But there's no time for ex's and why's, they needed to get help immediately. She carried Faulker by the shoulder, and they ventured onto the Ganeth City Square Park. There, they saw a chopper.

"Help us!" Alessia ran with Faulker, held by her shoulder, to the chopper, only to be greeted by four soldiers with their firearms aimed at them.

"Reveal yourselves."

Alessia and Faulker looked at them and raised their hands.

The soldiers checked them for weapons, from head to toe, but there was nothing that they had.

"Who are ye?"

"We are Ganeth civilians that didn't reach..." Faulker coughed, "that didn't reach the plane."

The four soldiers in hazmats looked at each other, and gave the two some hazmats. They assisted them to the chopper, and then they rode with them.

"Pyolangi's attacked by the Shadows," one of the soldiers announced.

The two looked at each other and then at the city of Ganeth. It was destroyed, and was currently getting free cremation.

"What happened to Ganeth? Why is it in flames?" Alessia asked.

One of the soldiers  looked at her. "The wind from Vaprid Realms was radiated. It also took with it flammable gas, which lit the city with fire."

"The Larkians and South Emeraldia plan to assassinate Naomi Ashkill of The Shadows. It was announced just hours ago, so we were taken here for lookout if the Shadows attack our coastline," another soldier added.

Faulker coughed again, and then he looked at them. "Well, let them do what they want, but first, let's fly to safety."

The chopper flew away, leaving behind the city that turned to ashes.