Chapter 9

Rogheim, Southern Deolark

Bhukrha Palace, The Office of the Prime Minister

The office of Prime Minister Dark, as everyone knew him, was not too big nor small. Since the fall of his friend and former Prime Minister Leo, as everyone knew him, the Twin Towers of Deolark were missiled by Deonese terrorists, saying that it was not proper to have the Twin Towers between the borders of Deolark, even though it was just Dark running the whole place. For the Deonese, that was a serious problem, since they believed that Dark only did the best for the Larkians, and not the Deonese. It was a ridiculous superstition of the Deonese, and the Larkians can't just argue with them, or else another civil war will happen. Well, there was a silent war happening, but it wasn't that destructive.

For Prime Minister Dark, having a civil war was another problem, another cost, and another stress for him. As his grandma had told him when he was young, "How can we win a war against another country if we can't even bring this country peace by being one?" That question was something he always kept in his mind, and he wanted to fulfill it, since his grandma died in the civil war, namely the Deo and Lark War.

For now, it is Cassiopia guiding him through his life. Cassiopia was just his normal sister, he hated her, he fought with her, he argued with her, but he always ended up making peace. Pia guided him throughout his entire life, and he was thankful that he had her, or else he wouldn't be making good decisions.

He also had an annoying friend called Dave. Dave opened the door and closed it shut, holding five pieces of bond paper with something printed on it and a phone in his left hand. He fixed his eyeglasses and looked at him with wide eyes.

“Kyle, you seriously need to see this.”

His friend never called Prime Minister. He never called him Dark either. But he permitted him to do so. He was his friend, after all.

“What is it?” Dark grabbed his SiliTab. He pressed his thumb on the home screen, and then it spoke. Dave was already blabbering, but Dark shushed him.

“Recording conversation.”

Dark nodded to Dave and popped a thumb up. Dave heaved a breath and exhaled, then looked at the paper.

“The Office of The President of South Emeraldia. Three o' clock---”

The disappointment in Dark's face was unbearable. “C'mon! Just simplify it.”

“Okay.” Dave cleared his throat and looked at his phone. He then spoke it, and Dark's eyes widened in surprise.

“---she agreed to the assassination.”

***

New Xexil Island, Southern Deolark

Xexil , The Armed Navy of Southern Deolark

Sergeant Gavin of Xexil started to walk down the stairs while holding a coffee in his left hand. Every step he took, the wooden stairs would whimper. He looked at everyone, then sipped his coffee. His face scrunched for a split second, then changed to his original, poker face.

“Where's Private Fiuj?” he said out loud. Everyone stood up and made a salute gesture.

Gavin walked past a couple of soldiers. Finally, he heard Private Fiuj speak. “Yes, sarge?”

“Where is the assassin, Private Fiuj?” Gavin set the mug on the table, then stood face to face to Fiuj. Fiuj looked him in the eyes.

“The Assassin sent by Northern Deolark is helping herself, Sarge.”

Gavin held the mug and sipped his coffee. His serious face diverted to the direction of the comfort room, and out came the Assassin. He set the mug on the table once again.

“Sergeant,” the Assassin smiled and nodded, then offered a hand shake.

Gavin couldn't respond. How can someone not show respect? Well, she was a Deonese, so it may not be something common to them. He cleared his throat. “How are you, Assassin?”

“Why so formal? Jan is my name, not Assassin.” Jan smiled, then held Gavin's mug. She sipped the coffee from it, and set it on the table again.

Gavin's eyebrows furrowed for a split second. He could just punch this girl without getting a cut, if only the Prime Minister didn't send her.

“You're leaving now, Assassin.” Gavin insisted on calling her Jan. It was their culture, in a matter-of-fact, so it may a good thing or a bad thing. Whatever, this is just a girl. He sometimes wondered why the Prime Minister could be so dumb.

Jan then nodded, and walked past him. Gavin was left in shock. The girl just walked past him. This was total disrespect to him and a total shame. A girl just walked past him. That's something . . . he'd never thought someone would do to him. He's a first class sergeant, after all. And he's higher than anyone else in this building. He would never let anyone do that again.

When he turned around, he saw Jan open the door. “Bye guys!”

And then she walked away and closed the door, leaving a loud thud in her absence.

Gavin's eyes widened. Everyone's attention was to the door. So, Gavin snapped them out with a 'go back to work!' voice. Everyone sat down on their chairs and started to do something that was not Gavin's business.

He walked around again and looked through the glass window. He stared at Jan walking to the military vehicle, some assisting her. She placed her bag to the seat of the vehicle, and smiled. She tucked some strands of her hair behind her ear and pulled her braids in front. Then the vehicle took her away.

One heck of a girl.