Chapter 24

Republic Of The Shadow Walkers - Naomi's perspective

Out of curiosity, my gaze went to the Crather section of the page.

CRATHER

Much of the destruction in recent history was caused by the war with Radish Land, who was run by Todd Crather.

His name is loathed by many, and said to be cursed. The name Todd now has a dreadful past, and anyone whose name is Todd is said to be cursed with meeting Crather's fate eventually.

Many believe that someone cursed his name after he started killing many people and inflicting pain upon even more.

Some also believe that Todd's sister, Scarlett Crather, survived the war. She is said to also be cursed, since she took part in many people's deaths, including many of the Radish Nations' leaders during the Revolution.

She is also believed to be the killer of Alyssa, Lauren, and Mitchell Ashkill.

My eyes widened. Scarlett killed them?!

She will pay for that one day.

I closed the book, certain that I had seen enough. The one who murdered most of my friends and several of my siblings was still alive.

And she will pay. With blood, the voice in my head whispered.

Of course, I agreed, hatred clouding my sane thoughts.

The voice became silent after a little laugh, allowing me to hear footsteps that seemed to be going up.

There's a staircase?

I tiptoed around a bit, and saw Miss Ellis's walker in a corner. Shouldn't she be using it?

Confused yet curious, I saw Fifi running to the other side of the library, and followed her. The parrot watched me curiously from the top of a bookshelf, but after a moment, it flew in the direction the Chihuahua had gone.

Pets, lead me to your owner.

Fifi yapped as she reached the far corner, and I emerged around the shelf blocking my view just in time to see her sit down mournfully as the parrot flew up a staircase. I realized the dog was too small to climb up the first step, but the steps were uneven.

I gingerly picked up the Chihuahua, fearing her most likely sharp teeth, and dropped her on the first step to see what she would do. She bounced up the stairs, and I followed, as silently as I could.

The dog ran ahead as I darted behind a bookshelf. Apparently there was a second level I had not taken notice of, and I didn't exactly trust Miss Ellis anymore. I wasn't going to just walk in like I belonged here.

For some reason, it felt like I didn't belong here. Like the books were glaring at me, saying you of all people don't belong here. and get out. Now.

But I wasn't going anywhere.

Being the specially trained NightWalker I was, - I had been trained personally by Bethany ever since she begged Alyssa and Lauren to let her teach me - I stealthily stalked through the library, quiet as a single mouse.

Then I heard a voice.

"She's here, Scarlett."

My heart sped up until I realized she hadn't noticed me yet and that she was talking to someone else.

I silently took a few deep breaths, slowing my racing heart. Crouching, I made myself as small as possible.

Footsteps paced back and forth, and I could hear another voice.