Chapter Twelve

Song of the Chapter: Hit Me Like a Man - The Pretty Reckless (Acoustic)  

○ Peyton Baron ○

"Here ya go!" I hand Nick his drink and I sit down with the popcorn, grabbing the Netflix remote. "I do have to warn you because I didn't, like, process it until earlier, but the beginning shows a girl getting sexually assaulted. If you'd like to me to fast forward through that, I can."

"I think I'll be fine. If I see it, I won't feel bad if the dudes get destroyed." Nick says, sipping his G-fuel. I laugh, pressing play.

We watch the movie, occasionally talking about the happenings in it. Nick will say, "yo, that's sick!" or "that's so fucked up" with a laugh. It felt good to have all these friends. I never knew how much I enjoyed human interaction until I moved here. I used to love being alone where my only contact with a living creature was with Rebel. Now, I can't stand it if I'm not around the guys for at least 30 minutes at max.

It kind of made me wonder why I preferred to stay to myself all these years. I guess I was so used to being fucked over by people like my parents and Jaylee that I just started to... hate humans. Even in college, I hated being around anyone. I would even break the campus rules and sleep away from my dorm because I hated being stuck in a room with 4 other guys. Damn, do these change.

"Peyton, movie's over." I snap out of my thoughts, looking at Nick and then the TV. "Oh." I go back to the Netflix home screen, scrolling through the movies. "Yeah, Lucas said you would black out sometimes. Whatcha thinkin' about?"

"Just... life and how grateful I am to have everyone in this house, as corny as it sounds. I never had a real family and now I do and that's insane to me. Just feel like I don't deserve it." I shrug, putting on Jackass 2. "Everyone deserves having good people in their life. Lucas tells me all the time how happy he is that you're with him and I'd like to thank you for making him that happy. It's been a while since I've seen him like this. The last time was probably when he hit a million on YouTube." Nick tells me.

It felt good to hear that. Knowing I make someone that happy is a refreshing feeling.

"He's worried we're gonna fall off because we don't have like a shit ton in common." I say, sinking down in the couch. Rebel's head was laying on my thigh and I was petting him, making his eyelids fall with content.

"Yeah, I know, but you have to kind of put effort into that too." I frown. "I have!" I say defensively. "I've tried playing COD with him and Nordan."

"But, according to what Lucas has told me about your personality and shit, you kind of went into it with an "I'm not gonna like it" attitude. If you go into it with that, then you're definitely not gonna like that. You say you want to understand why they like it so much but then you turn around and hate on it, that's what I don't get. I'm not saying it's completely your fault, Lucas could put more effort into it too. I'm just saying, a relationship is a two person effort." Oh gosh, Peyton. Resist. Resist.

"Well, not always. Polyamory has been around for ages and is even a religious practice in some cultures. It's actually possible for someone to be in love with more than one person. So technically, a relationship can be a more-than-two-person effort." I couldn't resist.

"Yeah... Lucas told me you do that a lot, too. For some reason, he finds it really cute but right now, I find you annoying." The statement wasn't malicious. Nick had an amused smile on his face and it was comforting.

"That's why I exist, Nicholas. I must annoy everyone. It's a defense mechanism." Nick chuckles, shaking his head. "A fuckin' bad one, at that. If you're annoying, you're more likely to get killed."

"That's what Rebel is for. Did you hear about the wrist breaking story?" He starts to laugh. "Alex was so excited to tell me about that. I think he loves your dog as much as you do."

"I'm glad. A lot of people are scared of him because he's a big dog. A lot of people in stores pull their children away. I don't know why though. Rebel is a sweetheart, he's just protective of me and he only really attacks if there's real danger. Before we started dating, Lucas had made me scared a couple times and Rebel never did anything more than just growling at him because he knows Lucas is no real threat." I pet Rebel's head as I talk, softly pulling at his ears.

"Rebel's a beast. In a good way, of course. Anyways, back to what we were talking about, what's something you can find common ground with Lucas about?" Nick asks, pulling his legs onto the couch to get into a criss-cross position.

I stare at Rebel, thinking. What is something we could find common ground on? We both like music, but not the same music. We both like video games, but not the same video games. Why is this so difficult?

"I literally can't think of anything." I sigh, pouting. "Okay, uh... Is there something you like that maybe Lucas would like too?" I look at Nick.

"Would Lucas like anime?" Nick immediately shakes his head. "No chance." I squint. "I bet I can get him into it."

"Good luck with that." Nick huffs in amusement. He has no faith in me, what the fuck. I happen to be a very persuasive person.

"Please. I could definitely get him into it if I try hard enough." Nick raises a brow at me with a smirk. "Care to make a bet?" Oh no. No, wait, I shouldn't say "oh no" because I'm confident in my abilities.

"Alright. If I can get him to enjoy one anime, you have to let me slap you full force across the face in one of Lucas' vlogs or something." Nick nods. "Alright, fine. If he doesn't enjoy it, you have to listen to the entirety of Lucas' favorite Logic album." I immediately frown.

"Oh, I'm so winning this. You're going down, fucker." I tell him, holding out my hand. Nick laughs, shaking it.

○ ○ ○

ooh ooh ooh fun fun fun

anyways, feedback is appreciated!

faze up and stay slothy my dudes! \(._.)/