Chapter 3

The door swung open, and another tall man walked in, his body highlighted by the lightning that lit up behind him. He closed the door and shook some of the rain from his arms. He had a cloak around his shoulders and a hood over his head, but as he threw it off his head, she wished he'd kept it on. His face was littered with scars and one of them twisted his mouth down into a permanent scowl. One of his eyes was milky white and the other was a creepy silver color that didn't look any brighter than the other one.

   He turned and his good eye locked on her. When he saw the blonde hair, he gasped and knelt down just like the young man had done, but he did it more gracefully and it actually appealed to her how he folded his hands over each other and kept his head lowered on his elbows. "Your highness! Pray I don't offend you with the current state of my home."

   One of his hands rose to gesture at the clutter around them. She shook her head. "You may stand. And I'm not offended, but the only thing I request is that you don't turn me in to my father. I do not wish to go back to Cloiten."

   He nodded and stood, pulling the bread from the stove which smelled like it was beginning to burn.

   "Nicholas. You forgot again." He remarked to his son.

   Nicholas, the young man, gasped and stood, towering above the other. While he sliced the bread open and prepared it on plates, the older man strode over to a side table and pulled up a small wooden chair. He sat down and gave her a smile that looked wickedly disfigured because of the scar. "I'm terribly sorry if my son gave you any trouble. He's very forgetful and not much use other than for hauling loads or pulling the plow." As he said this, she glanced over at Nicholas and saw the hurt expression on his face as he turned to grab the butter from the counter. She felt sorry for him. She wondered if his father was like this when she wasn't here or if he was an abusive brute?

   "No. I assure you he was very polite and very respectful, sir." She smiled as she said this, trying to make it look like Nicholas was a good guy. The man nodded and gestured at his son to bring the bread over.

   "Come on Nicholas. Bring it over. Oh, I forgot my manners. My name is Damon Dreery." For some reason, that name sounded familiar to her, but she couldn't place it before Nicholas came back. He placed the tray on the table beside the tea, bowing his head to them and backing away to stand by the doorway to another room, looking elsewhere and rubbing his arm as awkwardly as he did everything. She felt sorry for him. She saw five pieces of bread, but she wasn't eating very much if she could help it. "Aren't you going to eat, Nicholas? You made it. You should get a share."

   He jumped and glanced up, his eyes meeting hers, more sad than ever. She gestured at the tray and then did something she never did to men. She smiled at him while meeting his eyes. A genuine smile. One that her mother said would charm the birds from the trees. Nicholas hesitated a moment more and then sat back down in the other chair. She smiled again to herself and reached for a piece of bread and the butter. She spread herself some and ate quietly as Damon explained that his wife had passed away many years ago, shortly after Nicholas had been weaned and was beginning to speak.

   Alex had a sudden bit of pity and guilt that went through her heart, making her physically ache. She missed her mother already and she wasn't even three miles from Cloiten yet. She nodded as Damon's story ended and the man stood again.

   "Well, I merely came home to fetch my travel bag." He turned to his son. "Nicholas, I'll be gone until tomorrow by noon at least. Feed the animals, water the garden, and don't forget to replace the thatch on the roof. And now that we have a guest, don't bother her with your stories."

   With that, he grabbed up the bag and walked out, pulling his cloak back on. When the sound of hoof beats faded into the rain, she looked up at Nicholas' face and saw a relieved expression that she didn't expect. "Thank you…for getting me a share. He usually doesn't let me eat much if we have guests. He's too nice to the few visitors we ever have. I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable at all."

   She smiled and put her tea down on the table. "Of course you didn't. In fact, I felt more welcome with just you here than with him here. So thank you. Now what are the stories he said not to tell me?"

   He shook his head quickly, looking away and going back to his stuttering self. "N…no. You…probably wouldn't like them. They're…quite boring and according to dad…a little scary."

   She smiled and crossed her arms. "You'd be surprised by what scares me and what doesn't. Now tell me one. What are they about?"

   He paused and looked down at his feet. "They're about the age of the Darklens."