Chapter 32

Alex and Caine were the first to get over the hill of rock and they were also the fist to see Nick's injury. Alex screamed in horror as that creature tore his stomach and chest to shreds. Nick screamed and unholy sound before Datrigon suddenly stumbled backwards, a knife in his throat. He went too far back and fell over the edge, flapping only wing wildly while the other one dangled uselessly.

   Alex ignored Caine's offer for assistance and she slid down the hill of rock as quickly as she could. She ran over to Nick and knelt down, cradling his head in her lap, rubbing his hair and sobbing. "Nick, please no! Don't die! You said you'd be fine! I said I'd call you a liar! You can't just die like this!"

   Tears ran down her cheeks and fell onto his cheek, rolling down to hit her skirt. Caine rushed over and pressed two fingers to Nick's neck before pulling out some bandages. "He's still got a pulse. I can try to get him back, but I need you to stay out of the way."

   She nodded and continued to touch Nick's head. Canine rolled out a huge amount of gauze before pressing it to the slashes. Nick moaned, his first sign of life that Alex could see. She gasped and touched his cheeks, smoothing her finger  over them. "Nick? Nick please hold on. Canine can help you, just hold on."

   The other slights and king Jacob came over the rock hill after them and they gasped as they saw him, paying there so injured. Nick opened his eyes weakly and his lips parted as he tried to say something. "I…is…is he…dead?"

   Alex nodded and smiled for him. "Yeah. He's dead. He couldn't fly when he fell into the pit."

   Nick managed to smile in return, his eyes fluttering as of bread about to pass out. "Good."

   He began to drift into unconsciousness when she shook his head and stroked his cheeks again. "No. Hold on Nick. You're gonna be fine." He reached up and touched her cheek, stroking it as he smiled again. "It'll be…fine. Like I said."

   His eyes closed completely and she began to panic. "No! Nick!"

   Caine shook his head as he put bandages on his chest. "I can still feel his heartbeat. Don't panic. He's not gone yet."

   Alex sobbed and glared at him. "Yet?!"

   Caine sighed and shook his head. "I'm not a miracle worker."

   "But I am." Ochulissa suddenly stepped forward from where she was finding more bandages. She pushed Caine away and pulled the bandages off, exposing the nasty wounds.

   Alex watched as Ochulissa spread her fingers over his torso and started to chant. Whatever she said was in a language that no one knew, but as her fingers began to move in small patterns, the wounds began to close up, leaving foul scars across his abdomen. When every wound had closed, she let out a shuddering gasp and she fell backwards, shaking and fighting for breath. "I don't do that much because it takes so much out of me, but he should be okay if he didn't die before I did it."

   Alex looked at Nick's face and she patted his cheeks. "Nick. Nick you're alright. Wake up!"

   He gave no response. She sobbed and shook his shoulders, trying to get him to revive. "Please! Nick, don't die! You can't do this! I wanted you to be here to see your child. I wanted you to marry me. I wanted to have more children in the future. You can't just leave me!"

   She gave a loud wail as once again, he didn't respond. She lowered her forehead until interested on his and her golden braid fell to touch his ear. The Lights all gathered around and rested their lanterns around him. Jacob sighed and touched Alex's shoulder gently. "Sweetheart. It's too late."

   Alex sobbed and her body jerked, but she didn't sit up. She leaned further down and maneuvered herself around his body before she kissed his lips. When she pulled away, she sobbed and hugged his neck. "I love you."

   As she wept against his neck, thick muscular arms wrapped around her and lips moved beside her ear. "I love you too."

   She gasped and reared back, looking into Nick's eyes with unbridled joy. "Nick!"

   She dove into his arms again and sobbed against him, but in happiness this time. "I thought you were dead."

   He chuckled and patted her back as the Lights cheered. "Naw. I just wanted to hear how much you loved me. I got you good didn't I?"

   She gasped and pulled back, shaking him hard by his shirt collar. "You jackass! I should…"

   Her threat was silenced by his lips as he kissed her, pulling her tight. He pulled away after a second and kept his forehead on hers. "You should stay close to me and kiss me while we plan our wedding day."

   She giggled and met his eyes happily, giving him a gentle smile. "Yeah. Now let's go home. We have a nursery to build."