Chapter 14

She gasped as he slipped the dress down her body, exposing her camisole and underclothes. He pulled her camisole off and then when his hands slipped under to pull of the corset she wore, she grabbed his arms and shook her head. "No. We can't. If I get pregnant then my parents will know it was you. Then they'll kill you."

   He sighed and closed his eyes, pulling her up close to him once he'd slipped off her corset and underwear, holding her naked body to him. "The likelihood I live through protecting your family is slim to none. I'll be dead one way or another. All that matters is that you'll have a chance at having my child."

   She sniffed and had the looks of a girl about to cry, but he didn't want her to cry anymore.

   He pulled her head back with her hair he got and stared into those lovely green eyes. "No. Don't cry. No more tears. That's not how you want to remember this? Is it?"

   She wiped away any tears and shook her head, settling back down on the bed. "No."

   He smiled. "Good. Now let's have a little fun then."

   They made love for about a half hour, trying to keep as quiet as possible, and then he helped her pack up afterwards. She stood by her closet, clothed in a short robe that came up to her knees, while she passed clothes to him to pack in a bag. She turned slightly and viewed him, only clothed in his pants, exposing every muscle of his upper body she wanted to see.

   He glanced over and caught her looking, but she ripped her eyes away, focusing on the packing. She didn't want to focus on him. If she thought about him too much, she may start crying again because she knew he would never be able to love her like they both wanted. Once she was packed up, she got clothed in the same dress from earlier while he pulled on his shirt. He carried her bag for her, being a true gentleman. That only upset her more.

   As they reached the commons, her parents were waiting and so was Abel, still pouting about Alex's dislike of him. Another man stood there, clothed in a brown robe. Nick recognized the funny haircut of a monk or priest. When Jacob looked up and saw them, he gestured to the cellars which had been opened up in the floor and Nick took the lead, lighting a lantern which was handed to him by a soldier. He sighed and jumped down, leading the way in. A soldier with another lantern brought up the rear, enclosing the small band in a ring of light.

   Nick held up the light and saw that the tunnel stretched away in three directions. He took a deep breath and let his instincts take control. They said go to the right tunnel. He led the way and soon they came to two more turns.

   Abel suddenly spoke up. "Where exactly are we going?"

   His voice echoed off the walls and Nick almost winced. "Shh. I don't know where we're going exactly, but it's better than up there."

   Alex hung up near the front, keeping as close to Nick as she could. That's when she felt someone touch her arm. She jumped and gasped, but turned to see her mother. She slowed up and so they fell to the back, right in front of the rear soldier. The queen sent him a look and he gave her a nod.

   Her mother, Grace, took her hand and squeezed it. "I'll try everything I can to change your father's mind, but he seems set in his decision. Which is why I've come up with a plan."

   Alex got closer and tilted her head. "Let me hear it. I'll try anything to marry Nick."

   Grace smiled mischievously. "I don't know if you'll do this though. How about you seduce Abel and make it look like you want to have sex with him, but when he's distracted, you scream. As loud as you can. Nick will do anything to save you and when your father sees Abel like that, he'll definitely change his mind."

   Alex sighed and then shrugged. "Alright. I'll try it. When should I?"

   Her mother hugged her and kissed  her temple. "Tomorrow. Your father was going to have the wedding in three days and so the night before will make it more timely."

   Alex smiled and hugged her back. "Thank you momma. You're great."

   Grace smiled and let her daughter move back up front, where she went back to staying close to Nick. The soldier at the back gave Grace a look and then queen winked at him, holding a finger to her lips. The soldier nodded and seemed like he tried to give a chuckle, but he was mute. Completely silent and more loyal to his queen than his king for his own reasons. Grace took full advantage of his secrecy and that's why she wanted him to come with them. He'd keep their plans a secret.