Chapter 27

The immortal lights. Their best weapons. Nick laughed and jumped up, grabbing a handle ad tugging it free. Dirt fell away, bit the light still burned bright enough to be seen in broad daylight. He brushed the dirt off the bottom to expose a name. "Frederick Cullen. Caine, I believe this is yours."

   His comrade looked utterly shocked as he took it in hand, stroking the handle as if in disbelief that his ancestor had held that very spot. Nick pulled them out one by one and as the others put them to the side, he counted them. "I pulled out forty three. How many do you have over there?"

   Louis did a count. "I'm only seeing forty two. Did you miscount?"

   "No, he didn't miscount. It's because I took one you dolts!"

   All three of them straightened as they heard a feminine voice. They turned and met the eyes of a slender girl with black hair and brown eyes. If Nick wasn't already attracted to Alex, he'd be trying to get his hands on that girl. She was pretty, slim, and downright sexy. She was leaning against a tree with a lantern held in her hand while tossing that thickest hair around her shoulders. "I'm guessing you nimrods are the other Lights. I was expecting more…"

   She poked Louis in his slim chest. "…warriors. The names Ochulissa. Descendent of Sherman Thistle. This guy."

   She pointed to the name on a lantern. "I guess I'm here to team up with you guys. How much have I missed?"

   Nick chuckled. "Quite a bit. We've probably killed a couple dozen Darklens just by opening up that hole. That and we've probably slayed just about six before now. You've been missing out. I'm Nick and this is Caine and Louis."

   He glanced at his friends and wasn't expecting what he saw. Louis looked rather irritated at the girl, but Caine looked awestruck. His mouth kept dropping open unexpectedly and his eyes were as wide as moons. Ochulissa huffed at him. "Pick your tongue up off the dirt, pup, or I'll cut it off."

   Caine regained composure and looked off elsewhere. She walked forward and glanced over the side of the hole. "So our plan is to drop in and start blasting the bastards with these things?"

   Nick shrugged. "Pretty much."

   She glanced over at his face and narrowed her eyes. "You're the descendant of Jason Dreery aren't you? The leader?"

   Nick nodded and she chuckled. "Our ancestors were brothers. That makes me like your…maybe two hundredth cousin. I don't know. So leader…lead on."

   Nick smiled and picked up his lantern, the one with the name Jason Dreery on it. They each picked up two for safety measures, tying one to their belts to keep as an extra. They stood at the hole and looked down and it was Caine who spotted the makeshift stairwell leading downwards. They climbed down and as soon as Ochulissa's feet hit the floor, she was ready for action, looking all around for something to kill. Nick held up a hand and when he knew the coast was clear, he led the way down the passageway where the Darklens had taken Abel. They kept their prisoners in the same pit and so the queen would probably be there.

   They walked for ages, turning corners and going up inclines until they emerged onto a narrow ledge. They could see across the put, but down below was nothing. The lanterns lights barely penetrated the thick inky blackness. Louis was about to spit off the edge when Nick stopped him. "Quit doing that. You don't know if that spit will hit the queen. Now wouldn't that be embarrassing?"

   Louis sighed and spat off to the side instead. Nick led thrash them the pit, looking for a way down until he came to another on  of this  makeshift stairwells. He eased himself downwards, leading the way into the darkness. The lanterns illuminated a small patch of stone for them to go by, but the center was utterly invisible.

   As they arrived at a ledge some ways down, they heard a moan, but it was male. "Please. Just a drop of water. That's all I want."

   Nick recognized Abel's voice. He kept moving, but Ochulissa stopped. "Come on. We have to help whoever that is."

   Nick shook his head. "No we don't. He tried to rape the princess. He's a criminal and deserves everything he's gotten and is going to get."

   Ochulissa shrugged and followed him lower.