Chapter 10

He whirled around and raised his knife to throw, but there was nothing to hurt. She giggled and he glanced down the embankment, seeing only from her shoulders up. "Gotcha! Now come on. Don't be a stick in the mud. Get in."

   He felt the blood rush to his toes and his stutter returned worse than ever. "I…I'm not sure. Uhh…I…I'm only a commoner. We…can't do that. I'd…I'd be arrested."

   She smiled and dunked her head under, soaking her hair and pushing it back from her face. "Don't be shy. Ha! Wait, what am I saying? I just told you not to be shy!"

   She barely held back her laughter as he clenched his fists. "I am not shy!"

   It didn't make his predicament any better when his voice cracked on the word shy. He blushed scarlet and grabbed his right elbow with his left hand, staring at the ground as she nearly drowned herself from laughing so hard. "Oh my God! You're so childish!"

   He scowled and stomped his foot. He grabbed the top button of his shirt and began slipping it off. "Show you who's shy."

   He muttered crossly. She turned as he undressed himself and then she felt the water ripple around her as he got in. She turned and smiled at him. He looked for all the world like he'd rather be in a Darklen abyss right now.

   She moved closer, but he scrambled through the water to get away. "No closer! If I touch you while your naked I've committed a crime. I don't want to be hanged when I'm trying to protect you and your family."

   She laughed and chased him around, trying to get a hold of him, but for such a big guy, he was flexible and fast. He dived to the right, but she was ready for him this time, having learned his technique. She dove towards him and latched her arms around his waist. "Caught you!"

   He yelped and thrashed about, trying to free himself. She laughed and then pulled herself close, hugging her naked body to his. "Come on. I'm not a wild animal. I'm just a girl. A girl who really likes you."

   He paused and stood still, letting her get close. "Umm…if you're parents ask…"

   She shook her head. "They're not going to ask. They'd suspect me to be arrogant, modest, ladylike…"

   He cut her off quickly. "…rebelling, adventurous, uncontrolled, flirtatious."

   She glared at his smirking face and turned away, crossing her arms. She turned her head slightly and saw that he seemed little amused. "Are you trying to keep us apart? Because you're really working hard at it. And it may be working."

   He sighed and came up behind her, turning her and holding her close. "No. My mouth got too big for me there. I was  just worried that your parents would hang me for you know…touching their naked daughter and whatever."

   She laughed and reached up to cup his cheek tenderly. "You know, when you're not stumbling over your words like a fool, you're really funny."

   He smiled, not talking lest he stutter again. Her hand moved down his cheek to touch his neck and then his shoulder, making a path down his arm. Her fingers laced through his and then she looked up at his face again, her gaze falling on those beautiful eyes. Suddenly, they were all she could see. His lips were a safe warm haven for hers, exploring over them with eager curiosity. She felt his tongue stretch out to touch hers and she gasped at the soft tickling feeling.

   Her eyes fluttered closed and her arms went around his neck. He felt her breasts press into his chest and he caged the urge in him which begged him to touch one. That would be his worst and last mistake. If her parents found out, he'd be dangling from a gallows within thirty minutes. All he could do now was kiss, but that was fine with him. Her lips were all he needed to be happy.

   As he thought of this, he changed his mind. He didn't need her lips to be happy. He needed…her. Not her traits or looks, but her personality and love for him. He didn't care if she was royal or if their destiny was just an old wives tale. He loved her and would do everything in his power to make her his.