Chapter 12

An hour or so later, they were back on the trail, trudging along as stones and potholes constantly tripped them. The city walls stood like giant sentinels against the sky, defined by the lights behind them. Nick went up to it and raised his hand to beat on it, but he paused and looked back at Alex.

   He gulped and shook his head at her. "Remember. We can't show affection for each other beyond these walls. I'll be killed and your chances of getting by Abel are ruined. Just pretend like I'm your bodyguard."

   She sighed and nodded, but before he knocked, she kissed his cheek. She pulled back and smiled shyly. "Just as a final kiss." He nodded and wiped the lipstick off his cheek before knocking on the oak gates. A soldier's head appeared at the top of the wall, clad in a heavy iron helm that resembled an eagles beak. It had slits in the visor so he could see, but other than those, there were no openings. It must get pretty stuffy in those things. He gasped as he saw Alex and he signalled to someone on the other side.

   Nick barely remembered the last time he came through these gates. He'd maybe been three years old at the time, holding his father's hand as they walked in. He remembered all the joyful chaos beyond the walls of merchants selling food and jewelry and entertainers being watched  by people of all ages. Nick remembered the jester who had been known for his ability to juggle up to nine objects of any shape. He remembered how he'd impatiently he'd tugged at his father's hand to go see it and how his father had sighed and come along to let his son enjoy it.

   Sadness came upon his heart just then, making it feel like a hunk of cold lead in his chest. His father had promised him several times as a teenager that he'd bring him back one day. He never got the chance to. Now he never would. He could've probably shed a tear then had he not been distracted by the soldiers rushing forward. Alex almost lost sight of him before she saw his head way above the soldiers'.

   She grunted and shoved the men off her. "Get off me! You must take me and him to see my parents immediately. It's a matter of life and death."

   The eagle helmet soldier nodded briskly. "Yes, your majesty!"

   She sighed angrily as she was hoisted onto the back of a horse behind the eagle soldier before rushing off down the cobblestone road. She saw Nick in the saddle of a horse to her right, alone because he obviously wouldn't fit on with another man. He seemed to be right at home with riding a horse, unlike her who was rather uncomfortable in a dress. She sighed as they rode up the road, now within sight of the castle. Horns blew and people parted to let them threw, bowing with their foreheads pressed to the ground. Those who didn't bow fast enough were threatened with spears. Alex looked away from them and kept her face from them.

   When they rode through the gates of the castle, she saw her parents standing at the doorway, waiting with none other than Abel Brahm. His gross blonde hair below in the wind as he gave her a nasty grin, not showing his teeth because he knew how rotten and ugly they were. She whimpered as the soldier helped her down and she had to face them. Then, Nick was beside her and she was filled with confidence.

   She led the way up and her father gave her a friendly grin. "Welcome home sweetheart. I see your excursion came to an end."

   Abel piped up. "I see you want to marry me after all."

   She barely held herself back from grabbing Nick's knife and gelding that bastard where he stood. "No. It's because the Darklens are back. This man has come to protect us. Mom, dad, Abel. Meet Nicholas Dreery."