Chapter 1

**Kat☝🏿**

Ugh! I wake up, tired and annoyed. Why is it that I always get migraines when I wake up?

I press the snooze button on my alarm clock and put my pillow over my face and groan.

I hate Mondays... I thought to myself. I get up take a quick shower and got dressed, I take a few minuses to do my up do and go.

"Ok! 10 minutes! To eat or not to eat it--I'm talking to myself again... You're good, Kat. It's only weird if I hear voices talk back."

I remind myself grabbing my bag and heading downstairs.

"We can't be too sure you don't hear voices you've always been a little off!" My little brother yells as he runs past me.

"Annoying brat," I whisper to myself walking to the fridge. I open it , then close it in disappointment, shouldn't be surprised there's not much to eat on the go. Mom and her healthy food binge... I sigh.

My mom is on this thing where she only eats healthy foods and half of these foods have to be precooked or blended in some sort of way to be edible. I grab one of the two apples on the table and leave, locking the door behind me.

I'm usually the last one home in mornings, my little brother loves to be early. And my parents usually have to be at work by 7:00 o'clock.

Outside!
I text my friend Ayo, Africans stay being late like everywhere... and everyday!

Ayotunde or as most of us call her Ayo, is Nigerian. She moved to the US when she was 13 to live with her dad and started high school here, we've known each other for 2 almost 3 years.

As I reach her house I see her running out of the door. "Bitch, you said you're outside 10 minutes ago." She breathes out.

"Girl, I know you."

"Like you're any better! You're supposed to be here 20 minutes ago, I tripped rushing to get out here." Her braids sway back and forth as we speed walked toward school.

" Her braids sway back and forth as we speed walked toward school

Ayo🦋

"Which means I gave you an extra 20 minutes, I know myself which is why I know you." I laugh.

I am Kenyan on my mom's side and Ugandan on my dad's. I was raised in Uganda before I moved to the US when I was 10.

I went to private school up until my freshman year of high school. My parents have this idea that if a school is not paid for its not the best which is true in our country but not necessarily here.

They both worked two jobs just to get me and my little brother through private school when I attended and still do.
I had to beg for them to let me go to public school just for a change, it's awkward being the only other black person in a class of 35. It wasn't bad I liked it enough and the friends I made there. I just wish I knew more people who were like me...