Chapter 7

"Have you applied to any schools?"

Mr. Gotstrek asks without looking up from his desk.

I enter his class and look at him.

"LSU(Leominster State University), and a couple other schools." I say.

I finally thought about what my mom and he wanted me to do, and started considering going to college.

I couldn't work in Tio' s garage forever and if I really wanted to support my family I would need a better paying job. College meant connections and getting closer to the dream job I'd wanted, designing cars.

The thought of going to college actually made me happy, a part of me couldn't wait to go. To live life in college. Not that I'd go very far I don't plan to leave Kat behind.

"Good, email me the list for your recommendations." He says trying to hold back a smile.

I laugh and smile,"Whatever you say Mr. G."

I leave his classroom just as the last bell rings and make my way to Kat's locker, reaching it just before she opens her locker.

"What's up, mami?" I say reaching for her.

I lean down to kiss her and she blocks me with her binder.

"Please no PDA, there's so many people in the halls right now. It's cringy." She laughs.

I look around and just before I shift my eyes back down to her, I see of Johnny staring at us.

At her.

"You never seemed to have a problem with it before." I look at down at her, a little irritated.

She worried Johnny will see us? Did she feel something for him?

"Are you worried someone you don't want looking will see us?"  Irritation laced in my voice rising at the thought that she might be even a little interested in Johnny.

My thoughts go back to the conversation I had with Ayo two weeks ago.

°°°°°°°

** 
     "We need to talk about your girls, Santi." Ayo says from behind me.

Turn around silently and lean on the trunk of my car facing her waiting for her to speak.

"Look, we both know you a hoe, Santi." She starts crossing her arms.

I smirk amused, "I've had one girlfriend and I would never hurt Kat. I'm not even interested in anyone besides Kat."

Ayo sighs. "But you've had a few girl-friends. Look I don't like you. And this city is tiny, has it occurred to you how different you two are? How people see you and what they think when they see you two together?"

"What are you saying, Ayo?" I say straightening myself, my annoyance building.

"Today Carmen and her friends said some stuff to Kat, and they're not the only ones who talk."

"What did they say?" My jaw tightens as I get angry.

"That she's just a black slut and a temporary fix for you." My jaw tightens at her words.

"She's not temporary. She's it for me. She's mine and nothing will change that."

"Yeah but you guys are from to different worlds, I'm not even talking cultural differences. She's black. Mejor la raza. (Bettering the race.) Your own friends look at her with you and sneer. They make her feel like she's less and like she doesn't deserve to be with you. She cried to me yesterday at lunch, that girl is so strong. You know Kat, she probably held this in for a while before she couldn't take it anymore.  I know you care about her but maybe you are both better off with people from your own..."