Chapter 19

"No, I got 5.83 for my expected value. Which equation did you use?"

"Matt, shut up! Ehh!" I exclaim softly waking up.

"My sister's awake, I'll call you back later."

I kiss my teeth in annoyance, "Ddayo kusomerro. (Go back to school.) Oli wano (You're here) waking me up."

He close his laptop. "I thought you were dying when they called me. And Santi, man looked worried. Naye kati (but now), I don't get why he was so worried you look alive." He shrugs.

I laugh, "You know I'm you're only sister right?"

"Okay... and?." He asks sarcastically.

I smile. "You're lucky I haven't killed you yet, annoying brat." I sit up slowly on the bed.

"Sawa meka? (What time is it?)"

He looks at his phone, "Almost 9, you've been knocked out for 4 hours. Santi bought food."

My mouth starts to water a little, "Gimme."

Matt hands me the styrofoam container and a fork and I dig in. After a couple large bites I can't eat anymore.

"Mpolampola (slow down), you're gonna choke." He passes me a bottle of water.

"How's your stomach?"

"It's fine. Mild pain. Where's Santi?"

"He's outside, last time I saw him he was doing something on his laptop and talking on the phone."

"You were on the phone in here. Did you kick him out? And yes." I meet his stoic gaze.

He knew what my response was for.

"Why?" He asks.

"What do you mean?"

"Tewali. (Nothing.) Don't..." He orders then pauses stopping himself.

"...end up in the hospital again. I have school and work." He ends, opening his laptop again.

I smile. "Awee you care! That's cute."

He shakes his head. He had his way of showing he cared and letting me know he knew.

..............

After spending a night in the hospital, I was discharged that morning. My brother had decided not to stay and just go back last night. Santi insisted we that we go to his place.

"Kat, we taked about this. You agreed you're staying with me until you're feeling better and healed. Please... At least until you've recovered." He's seated in front of me, his hands resting on my knees. I curl my sock covered toes, I was sitting up on the hospital bed with my feet dangling off.

I nod my head. My body slowly heating from his touch. Did I object? Why?

This man had the ability to make me forget my mind.

I scan his face. Why does he always look so handsome?!

"Yeah, okay." I affirm with words.

He visibly relaxes and quickly distances himself from me. Rising to stand by the window.

My chest tightens a bit but I ignore it.

"You should text Julie and tell her not to pick you up. I'll stop by your apartment so you can get whatever you need."

Ohh. I'd told him Julie was picking me up.

I text her quickly explaining as much as I can through text.