Chapter 12

I woke up with a raging headache, I opened my eyes, my vision blurred and my eyelids heavy.

"Kat." I croaked, my mouth and lips felt dry.

"Aquí, tienen un poco de agua. (Here, have some water.)" Mi mamá said handing me plastic cup of water.

"Perdiste mucha sangre, el médico dijo. (You lost a lot of blood, the doctor said.) Tienes hemofilia. (You have hemophilia.) It made you lose so much de una lesión pequeña (from a small injury)." She explained.

"Yo estaban tan asutando que fueron los próximos. (I was so scared you'd be next.)" Mamá spoke tears brimming her already swollen eyes.

"Estoy bien mamá. No te preocupes. (I'm fine, mom. Don't worry.)" I tell her squeezing her hand in reassurance.

"Han pasado tres días (It's been three days.) The woman who hit you she took care of the bill. The Virgin has been with us, she is taking care us." Mamá says crying.

I smile my mom loved her faith and even when my dad passed and I stopped believing in God, her faith never wavered.

I was raised Catholic but I only went to church for my mom especially after my dad passed.

"Sí mamá, ¿dónde está Stephanie?"

"Su hermana is at work. You need to rest, mi'jo."

******

I started feeling better within a couple days and later that week I was discharged

My phone had fallen out of my hands that night so I hadn't been able to talk to Kat. When I finally got a new phone  two weeks after my forced bedrest and break from work the first thing I did was contact her.

Steph told me that she was still working like crazy and she'd started avoiding everyone. 

"Hello?" I hear her soft voice on the line.

"Kat. It's me."

"Santi? Jesus, Are you okay?" I hear her anxiously ask.

"I'm fine. I got discharged about two weeks ago, few minor injuries. Can we talk?"

Her pause feels like an eternity.

"Yeah, tonight?"

"Okay I'll drop by after your shift." I reply my heart pounding.

"Okay. I'll see you tonight." She replies hesitantly before hanging up.

I release my breathe and place my phone back in my pocket.

******

My anxiety was through roof. The entire evening I was so focused on Santi I broke three wine glasses while busing tables.

Thank God my shift was over, and I definitely was not closing tonight.

"Kat." I hear Dom start.

"No, I'm sorry I can't." I reply already knowing what he was going to ask.

"No, I just wanted to see if your good? You seem distracted. More than usual." He says stepping closer.

"I'm fine thanks. Just ready to leave." I say stepping around him.

"Still hung up on your ex huh?" He says mockingly behind me.

I roll my eyes and leave. Asshole

I get home 15 minutes later and after an hour Santi texts me.

Hey I'm outside.