Every story has to begin somewhere..

( just a note that this story will not be based around Vera's factual childhood but my own made up version to make this story a lil more interesting- hence the fact why I'm basing this story in England)
—1985, London, England—
-Vera's POV
Surrounding me were the usual sounds of traffic, a lot of traffic and people as they spoke of everyday conversations. As I wandered down the streets, people stared and judged- looking at me from head to toe, asking themselves if I fit in to the so called society which they resided in. I tended to question my own individuality as the young girl I was, dressed in a light blue summer dress containing a beautiful pattern of flowers pranced around in the pouring rain. My head span with imaginative thoughts, I no longer cared about what they thought of me. I understood that I was the strange girl who'd never be able to find her place, the one who's different or unique as my mother says. Smiling to myself as I hummed an old tune, I looked around still managing to picture a perfect day as I blocked out the sounds and pollution that filled the air. This was something that I liked to do quite regularly. That was however, until I found him; a little boy dressed in a cliche suit, you could tell that he was definitely way too high in the social classes.

"Are you blind? Can't you see it's raining?" the little boy said, snapping me out of my daydream. Putting extra emphasis on the last word as he looked me up and down, his arms were crossed and he rolled his eyes at me.

My cheeks turned bright red as I filled with rage. "And who are you to judge me? I can wear whatever I want." I huffed.

"Geez, calm down- why've you gone all red? You look exactly like a tomato and it doesn't suit you. Just saying." He chuckled with satisfaction as he quickly turned away and ran back down the streets to catch up with his mother and father before I could say anything in retaliation.

I wanted to scream. No one had ever embarrassed me like that. How did he manage to? Who even is he- I've never seen him before around here, maybe he's new. I just hoped that I wouldn't ever have to see him again. I let out a sigh as I began to walk back home, knowing that I should be there already. I had plenty of chores to do before tonight. I was excited to see my mother.. oh she has a wonderful, beautiful and sweet soul; she's who I look up to, she never fails to make me laugh. That is how my father used to be but now he's never home.. I haven't seen him in almost 2 months now, my mother won't tell me where he is and usually if I question she becomes upset so I dare not to say anything. My mouth is forever kept shut.

I arrived home a little later.

"Mummy! I'm home." I shouted as I ran through the door and up the stairs, filled with excitement. Both my dress and hair were now soaking wet so I frantically rushed to my bedroom and changed into a fresh set of clothes. Then I finally decided to go and talk to my mother to tell her about the little ignorant boy that I had crossed paths with earlier seeing as I told her simply everything. I got no response as I called out her name, I shrugged, maybe she was having a nap but that seemed highly unlikely. I went and knocked on her bedroom door, no answer. I knocked again and again, still no answer. Fed up of impatiently waiting I decided to just go in myself and that's when I saw my nightmare.

My world was shattered just like that. My heart torn into pieces. My mother laid on her bedroom floor. Her face extremely pale as she remained still. I knew that she was dead but my mind couldn't believe it, my eyes filled with tears as my vision turned fuzzy. I fell to the floor- everything soon became nothing but a blackout.

— a month later —
Things had changed a lot. I'd been living with my nan for the past few weeks, I didn't know what was going to happen, my nan told me that the police were trying to get in contact with my father, however he wouldn't respond. They still didn't know what drove my mother to her death and how it happened, no one knew but I had made a note to my future self that I would never stop trying to find out the reason why this had to happen, I had made this a promise. I laid on my so called bed and looked up to the ceiling. I still wasn't used to the cotton sheets, they just felt so strange.

My nan walked into the room and sighed, "Vee, aren't you ready yet sweetie? it's a big day ahead.. some people will be here to talk with you soon."

I looked up at her with a confused expression spread across my face, "Who?"

"A family. I'm afraid that the police still haven't found your father, so it means that you will have to be living with a family, on their terms. They told us they could look after you- of course not as their child but they'll provide a good home for you for a while, in fact there are even two children living there, two boys."

I looked at her in disbelief, "Nan, what do you mean? I do not want to leave here. This is my home now.."

She shook her head, "You have to move on Vee. But it will be okay, I promise." She pulled a strand of my hair gently and placed it behind my ear, "You're a brave girl, you will adjust."

I nodded as I watched her walk out my bedroom door, it was as if she almost was expecting me to realise the harsh reality of what my life has now become.

— the family arrive —
I looked at myself in the mirror once more as a tear rolled down my cheek, I didn't want to leave my nan- I was so scared to be alone. I heard my name being called, quickly I wiped away the tear and tidied myself up a little, my bright blue eyes twinkled in the light as my blonde curls fell down to my shoulders. Pleased with how I looked I made my way downstairs. I saw a lady and gentleman standing there, both dressed in extremely posh clothing. They both smiled widely at me.

"Hey honey, I'm Claire and this is John." The tall lady spoke down to me, I gave her a quick smile.

"Hi." I replied shyly, looking down at my feet.

"Oh, and children come come!" Claire smiled as her two boys came to her, "Vera meet Nestor and Sam."

Both boys looked up at me instantly, Sam blushed as he thought I was almost like an angel, whilst Nestor.. his face turned into a glare, I didn't realise until I looked up myself.

"No way.." I muttered under my breath, my face turning bright red just as it did when I first saw him, why did it have to be that boy, could things get any worse?