The Winds of War

"It's so weird that they don't breathe when they sleep," LaF comments.

"Don't make remarks about other people sleeping," Perry lectures. "It's tacky."

Danny chuckles. "No, Per, I'm gonna have to agree with LaFontaine. It's weird."

Carmilla's eyes snap open and she immediately lunges forward, grabbing Danny by the throat.

"Wow, someone's touchy about their sleeping," LaF comments as Danny shoots them a look.

"Where's Laura?" Carmilla snarls.

Danny narrows her eyes in a glare. "Look, I'm trying to, like, be friendly or whatever Laura's preaching we do in our Immortal Pals Club," Danny growls. "But I don't know where she is and if you don't get your cold, dead hands off of me, I'm going to pull your head off and use it the next time I go bowling."

Carmilla lets out a hiss but releases her.

"I don't think you've ever gone bowling," Perry replies.

Danny rolls her eyes.

"We saw your tires pop as we were approaching you," LaF says to Carmilla. "And we saw you go off the road. When we pulled up and I got out, all we saw was you in the car."

Carmilla crosses her arms. "She was in the passenger seat when I passed out."

Danny frowns. "I'm surprised she even managed to get you out of captivity."

"She barely did," Carmilla scoffs. "She got caught by Vordenberg and Theo and they took her to Mama Klaus."

Perry's eyes widen. "Th-The interrogator?"

Carmilla nods. "She sliced Laura open and had Theo rough her up. At the very least, he broke bones–– who knows what other kind of damage he did. And then she injected Laura with liquid silver. "

All three Lycans start to shout in dismay and Carmilla's eyes widen.

"Diluted! Diluted liquid silver," she quickly amends. "Painful as shit and enough to severely weaken her, but not enough to kill her." I hope. The vision of Laura's skin paling and her veins turning black is seared into her mind.

Kirsch walks into the room and visibly shrinks when everyone turns to look at him. "Uhm. Sorry. Didn't mean to interrupt. Was just wondering where that other vampire went."

"What other vampire?" Carmilla asks.

"They weren't a vampire." Danny crosses her arms. "On our way through the subway tunnels, we found this desiccated being."

"I thought it was a dead dude," Kirsch supplies.

"But I recognized the dried skin from my studies of what hibernating vampires used to look like," Danny explains. "So Kirsch carried them back and we put restraints on and then fed them blood and then when we got back here–– "

Carmilla sighs exasperatedly, looking out the window. "Look, as boring as this is, we have more important things to attend to. Like where Laura is."

Kirsch deflates a bit. "Okay, but it's just that–– "

"Shut up!" Carmilla shouts over him. "Laura. We need to go out there and find her! I say we split into groups. Since the sun is up, Kirsch and I can scour the tunnels."