Chapter Fourteen

"Hey, are you busy?"

I can hear the loud noises behind Ben as he answers the phone. "Um, kinda. We're at lunch. What's up?"

I bite my lip and tears well up in my eyes. "Um, j-just call me back when you're not busy and we talk."

"What's wrong?" He immediately asks. "I'm going outside, Josh, move."

I squeeze my eyes shut as Ben is silent for a moment. "Baby, talk to me. What's going on?"

"I'm going to rehab."

"R-Rehab? What? Where is this coming from? Rose, I'm so confused." Ben blurts out quickly.

"I'm so sorry." I apologize, looking down at my hands. "I'm sorry that you have to put up with me. I know you probably wanna break up with me so-"

"No, Rose. That's the last thing I want. I want you to get better, that's the main thing I want. But what made you want this?"

I tighten my fist and dig my nails into my palm. "Please don't freak out."

Ben takes an audibly deep breath. "I'll try not to."

"I went to a party, got drunk, and got, um, sexually assaulted-"

"Oh my god."

"I just can't live like this anymore. I-I need to change. I already told my director and the producers what happened and where I'm going and they agreed to give me as much time off as possible that I need."

"Do you know who it was that assaulted you?" Ben hesitantly asks.

"Um, it was Andrew." I almost whisper. "I-I'm sorry for interrupting your-"

"Rosalina, you stop apologizing to me right now." Ben scolds me. "I couldn't care less about lunch. I care about you. Okay, you're going to rehab. Okay. You don't know how long?"

"It depends on how long it takes for me to recover." I mumble. "I won't know until I get out."

Ben sighs as I wipe my cheeks free of tears. "O-Okay. So does this mean that this is gonna be the last time I talk to you?"

"I go into treatment tomorrow morning. I haven't even told anyone else, besides my family. Leila and the whole Beauty cast don't even know. You're the only one who knows."

"Can I tell you something then?" Ben whispers.

"Of course you can." I respond, laying back on my bed and curling up under the sheets.

"I-I love you."

"You love me?" I gasp.

"I do. I didn't wanna tell you over the phone, I was gonna tell you whenever we see each other next. But I don't know when that's gonna be and I can't wait anymore. Obviously you're really stressed so you don't have to say it back right now, I just had to tell you." Ben blabbers on. "I love you, Rose. Please, get better. Take as long as you need to, don't worry about me, or work, or anything. Focus on yourself, and on your recovery. Get some sleep."

I'm left breathless, but I manage to choke out a goodnight.

I can't believe what has happened these past five months. Ben is off on tour, I was sexually assaulted, I'm going to rehab, and my boyfriend just told me he's in love with me.

Why is everything is complicated?