Chapter Twenty Five

"Don't mess up my work!"

I️ laugh as Ben shouts from across the room. "I'm not messing up your work, I'm just fixing it a bit."

"It doesn't need to be fixed. I️ curled your hair perfectly." Ben smiles, walking up to me.

I️ roll my eyes, pinning back a piece of my hair. "Don't you have to leave?"

"Yeah, I'm on my way out. Love you. I'll see you on the red carpet, Gorgeous."

We kiss goodbye before Ben leaves to go to Josh's apartment where a bunch of the Newsies guys are getting ready together. Leila is coming over any minute.

Yeah, you guessed it. It's Tony day!

Leila fangirls when she gets to my apartment, telling me I️ look beautiful.

"I️ can't wait to see your dress. A picture isn't enough."

"Well, I'm just about to get in it, so you'll get your wish." I️ reads, skipping into the bathroom.

I️ quickly pull on my dress, smiling at my reflection.

Leila practically bursts into tears when she first sees me

Leila practically bursts into tears when she first sees me. "Oh my god, my little teenager is all grown up!"

"Stop it, Lei." I️ giggle, hugging her. "Go get in your dress."

Within ten minutes, both of us are ready to go. I️ find myself getting more and more nervous as the time approaches to get to Radio City. So much could go wrong tonight.

Josh is the first Newsie I️ see when I️ arrive, and he has almost the same exact reaction as Leila.

"Have you seen Ben yet?" Josh asks once he's calmed down.

"No, but he already saw me in the dress." I️ shrug, fixing my hair in the slightest.

I️ keep to myself when the show starts, holding Leila's hand tightly the entire time. "You don't have to be nervous, Lina. You're amazing. I️ know you're nervous about performing."

"Yeah, how can you not be?" I️ whisper back.

"I'm not saying you shouldn't be, because you have reason to be. But I'm letting you know that you're amazing and talented and deserve that Tony more than anyone."

A stage hand comes to tell me that I️ have to prepare for my performance, so I️ leave Leila with a hug and bunch of shouts from the Newsies as I️ leave.

I️ take my time in getting into my Belle costume and makeup, needing time to myself to breathe.

I️ pace back and forth backstage, keeping my eyes closed so I️ can block out everyone around me.

I'm ushered in stage within a heartbeat, and I️ have to calm myself once I'm blinded by the Radio City lights.

"Singing A Change in Me, Rosalina Faye from the revival of Beauty and the Beast."

I️ do what I️ did last night at the show. I️ transport myself to my fire escape, having a conversation with Ben. I️ picture his eyes and his smile, and I'm finally able to relax.

I️'ve never let out a breath so loud than the one I did when I️ got off stage. I️ giddily run back to the dressing rooms, happy with the performance.

I️ fix myself back up again, heading back to my seat, just in time for my category to start being announced.

"That was absolutely amazing!" Leila exclaims, grinning.

"Rosalina Faye as Belle in Beauty and the Beast."

I️ give a wave to the camera as my name is announced, my heartbeat increasing faster than it ever has before.

"And the Tony goes to... Rosalina Faye!"

Leila and I️ jump up, hugging. Of course, Ben had to go backstage to get ready for the Newsies performance so I️ can't even hug him.

I️ head up stage, shakily grabbing the Tony statue from the presenter. I️ take a deep breath before I️ start talking.

"I️ didn't think I had any chance of winning this so I️ didn't even plan out what I'm gonna say, oh my god." The simple comment makes the audience laugh which is good, I️ guess. "Uh, this show has really been such an amazing experience, and I've met literally the most amazing and wisest people. Our amazing director, Brandon, and our choreographer, Paul, and the entire crew that keep the show together, I️ love you guys. My family who's back in Texas, thank you for supporting me. Oddly enough, the Newsies for always finding a way to make me laugh over Facetime, even when y'all are across the country. And the biggest thanks had to go to my boyfriend. Ben, you've put up with so much since we met, and I️ can't thank you enough for that, I️ love you and you mean the world to me. Thank you."

I'm engulfed in Ben's arms when I get off stage, which makes me laugh and squeeze onto him. "I'm so proud of you, Rose."

As soon as Ben places me down, the Newsies come and jump on me. I️ laugh, hugging Josh first. "I️ had to thank you guys."

The celebration is cut short by Jerome urging the boys on stage, which excludes moans of disappointment.

"Break a leg everyone." I️ call softly as they shuffle down the block. Ben smiles at me, coming over to kiss me. "You're gonna be amazing. I️ love you."

"Love you too, Gorgeous."

I️ watch from backstage as the boys perform, cheering loudly for them. Ben comes off stage sweaty and energetic, hugging me again.

I️ laugh, allowing him to spin me around. "That was so good! The best I've ever seen it!"

"That felt great." Ben tells me as I'm set on the floor again.

What a night.