Chapter 13

“I...I can’t believe... How could you... How could you call me that?” he asked, stuttering. The hurt was clearly in his eyes and I had to blink to stop myself from crying.

                           “Jesse, I am so sorry. I didn’t mean to say that. Please forgive me.” I said, trying to turn around and look at him.

                           “I have to... I’m going to take a shower.” He said, sliding out of the bed and walking for the door.

                           “Jesse, wait! Please, I’m sorry!” I said, jumping up and grabbing his wrist.

                           “Victoria. Just stop. It’s obvious now. Jacen’s dead so you settle for the next best thing. I’m not the same person he was. I thought you of all people would be able to see that, but I guess not.” He said, storming off into the bathroom. I stood there stunned, not sure how to react.

                           Tears spilled from my eyes and I walked slowly backwards, sitting on the bed. I put my face in my hands and tried to comprehend what just happened. Jesse thought I was using him just to make me feel better about Jace?

                           Of course not! Jesse means everything to me! I never felt this way about Jacen. He used to plant kisses on my cheeks all the time, and we always hugged. I never once got that little spark that goes through my body like I get with Jesse.

                           I have to get Jesse to understand that. I would never do something like that to him. My heart started to beat fast and I started taking in short shallow breaths. I couldn’t lose Jesse. I just couldn’t.

                            I jumped as I heard a loud bang, like someone dropped something heavy. More like Jesse taking his anger out on a wall. I pushed myself backwards and curled up in a ball on Jesse’s bed, still crying.

Jesse’s POV

                           I walked down the hallway towards my bathroom. What the hell was she thinking? I’ve done nothing but think about her since I met her. The first time I actually settle down and care about somebody for the first time in two years, and she’s using me?

                           I opened the door to my bathroom, locking it and starting the shower. That’s almost worse than when Kara cheated on me. For Kevin of all people. I hated her. I hated being around her. But I hated Kevin more. That bastard was my best friend. So he sleeps with my girlfriend?

                           I thought back to that night involuntarily. There was a party at Kevin’s house. Kara and I went together, but got separated as soon as we got in the door.

                           Some of her friends pulled her away and I wasn’t even going to bother to chase her down, knowing I’d never find her around the good 250 people packed into the house. I just poured myself a drink and enjoyed my night.

                           Well, every party has to end. I go to find Kara so we can head home, and she’s in Kevin’s bed.

                           In Kevin’s bed, with him on top of her. They didn’t even see me walk in. It took me almost a full minute to find my voice and realize what was happening. “What the fuck?” I yelled, walking towards the two of them.