Chapter 14

“You better have a damn good reason for calling me.” Jesse growled into the phone.

Jesse waited for Kevin to respond. I saw his eyes widen like he was going to explode.

“There is no way in hell I’m letting you talk to her! What is wrong with you? How many times do I need to kick your ass before you figure it out? Fucking. With. Me . Is. Not. Smart!” Jesse yelled, emphasizing every word.

The look he had that night he almost permanently disfigured Kevin’s face was back.

“Don’t ever call me again. Don’t every try to talk toVictoriaagain. Don’t ever even look at her again. I don’t know why you’re so obsessed with fucking up my life but it stops now. Save yourself some trouble and stay out of our lives.” Jesse said, hanging up the phone.

I stared at him, still trying to grasp the fact that he had been with Kara. I couldn’t believe it! And then Kevin and Kara? I definitely didn’t see that coming! Poor Jesse!

How stupid is Kevin? After everything he’s done, now he wants to call Jesse and try to talk to me? The thought of even speaking a word to him made me sick.

Now I understand why Jesse almost killed him the other night!

“Victoria, why are you staring at me like that?” Jesse snapped at me. I jumped out of my thoughts and gave him a worried look.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be yelling at you. You didn’t do anything. I’m just...frustrated right now.” He said, running a hand through his hair.

“I know. Let’s just get your mind off of it, okay?” I said. He nodded.

“Okay, well. What are we going to do about my mom?”

Jesse ran a hand over his jaw, looking towards the door silently for a few minutes.

“Let’s go talk to her.” he said suddenly.

“What?” I asked, confused. Go talk to my mom? Was it that easy? Would she just tell me if I asked? “I don’t know, Jesse. I don’t want to make her mad or anything.”

“Think about itVictoria. If we ask her, and she gets mad, obviously she’s hiding something. If not, it could just be something simple and you heard the wrong end of the conversation.” He said.

Okay, that did sound smart. I didn’t really think about it like that. “Okay. We can try it.” I said, sighing.

“Good. We’ll go to Nikki’s now and get all of your stuff. You want me to go with you to talk to your mom?” he asked me.

“Of course I want you to go! I’m too scared to do it myself.” I said, biting my lip.

Jesse circled his arms around my waist, pulling me close. “Don’t be scared. It’s going to be okay. I’ll be by you the whole time. I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about. If it gets too much for you we can leave, okay?” he said, kissing my forehead.

I hugged him tight, not quite ready to let go.

By the time we arrived Nikki’s, it was almost 5 P.M. She was still cleaning up her house from last night. She kept asking questions about what happened to Kevin, and why he was bleeding on her carpet. Yeah, normal stuff.

I told her the truth. He got me really drunk and tried to have sex. I tried to push him off, but he wouldn’t budge. Jesse came in last minute and beat him up.

I swear her eyes almost fell out of her head. “He what?!” She yelled. “Jesse, I can’t believe you didn’t hurt him more than you did! After what happened with...” she trailed off, casting her eyes down.