이십 칠 : dreaming as the days go by

we have one thing in common

. . .

When the clock struck 11, Yugyeom knew it was time to go home. All the other officers were still busy inside the office, typing all their reports to meet the deadlines.

Yugyeom was relieved to go home this time, knowing he had solved just another murder case. He cleared his throat and praised himself on the rearview mirror.

Everyone can hold a secret so important, they just won't give it up.

Sometimes even the obvious goes unnoticed because when an angel greets us to our face, we don't bother to look if a devil is hiding behind it.

While Yugyeom was driving on his way home, he decided to drop by the dorm. It was an unplanned visit. He didn't want to go but something's encouraging him to. Luckily, he had a duplicate of the keys of the front door and Jin's bedroom. His room has been locked ever since the investigation began and this is the second time he's taking a look inside it.

No one was around, he assumed Jimin and Jungkook already left. Their dorm almost looked as if it was abandoned for a long time. The ambiance of the night matched with the gruesome history of the room.

He could create a visual of Jin's body being carried away in a bag the first time he was there, the horror on the faces of the boys, the lurking secret within the corners.

This dorm watched their friendship bloom and fall apart.

When he stepped his foot inside Jin's room, he felt something wrong. As an investigator, he doesn't solely rely on his feelings, he needs a solid evidence.

A few steps away from Jin's bed, his own book of Alice in Wonderland lied. It was just there on the floor, the front and back covers facing up, the pages pressed down. If he could make a deduction, he'd say Jin wasn't done reading it, or maybe he was, or maybe he was looking for a chapter.

He picked it up and smiled at the few notes written between the lines and spaces,

but in all pages

the letters,

RETTAHDAMEHTTCETORP

were written repeatedly.

They don't mean anything

but maybe if he just,

read it

in front of a mirror,

PROTECTTHEMADHATTER

and that's when he remembered there were supposed to be four suspects.

weren't there only three locked up in jail?

nobody even mentioned it to him

were they protecting

the white queen?

He reached for his phone inside his pocket and called the station in an instant.

"Set up code 9, immediately! I repeat, Code 9! A murder suspect is on the lose. They're leaving the country tonight! Move!"