십삼 : welcome to wonderland

you're dreaming! are you dreaming?

you're dreaming!
are you dreaming?
. . .

Yugyeom drew out his gun and aimed it at the boy who seemed to be unbothered by the threat.

"Oops!" He lifted his hands in the air and smirked. "What's the gun for? I came here in peace."

"You killed him."

Jungkook thought it was funny that the chief deputy assumed that. He squinted his eyes at him as if reading his mind.

"Oh no, officer, I know who did it."

"You're bluffing."

"You look funny!"

"Who killed him?!"

"You think you're going to get the answer that easily—?" He snapped his fingers as if creating a beat and his head bobbed with every note, but Yugyeom remained humorless. "—have you read Alice in the wonderland? Chief. Deputy. Yugyeom?"

"Don't play games with me Jungkook. I could have you arrested right here, right now."

"Hmm, let me tell that to my 12 kids." He closed his eyes for a while and started laughing hysterically.

'Yes, yes, I know!'

'He's pathetic, indeed.'

'Don't be scared, he's stup.id.'

"You're crazy..." Yugyeom placed his finger on the trigger guard, ready to fire in case the young man flips out.

"So what if I'm crazy? All the best people are."

"Tell. Me. Their. Names!" he spat.

"Easy there, tiger!" Jungkook removed the isolation between him and the gun. His body moved too close so that the muzzle touches his chest, mocking the officer to shoot. He carved a shady smile on his lips.

"You've met the four of them, deputy, and now, it's time to play their game." He dropped the number like a whirlwind in the chief deputy's thoughts. Those words worked like an enchantment, leaving Yugyeom with nothing but bafflement.

"Call me back when you find the killer." He walked confidently out of the room and displayed a peace sign with his fingers.

. . .

"Heechul!" He proceeded to the man's desk and grabbed the folders placed on the table.

"S—sir."

"What the f.uck is this?! Still no other match?!" The tone of his voice startled the boy.

"S—sir, there was really noth—"

"Don't you fu.cking tell me that there's no more than Jin's stu.pid fingerprint on the crime scene!" Everyone turned their heads on the officer's desk.

Heechul felt embarrassed, terrified that all those years of hard work might vanish because he couldn't give what Yugyeom wants.

"Listen here, kid. There are four, do you understand me?" He pounded on the man's desk, causing him to shiver in stress. "Four! suspects at large and if you can't do your job, I'll find someone else who can." The papers scattered on the floor after he threw them in dismay.

. . .

Back to his office, he flipped the board that showed the connections between the seven boys.

"Four, four, four," he whispered under his breath.

There was nothing coming out of his mind, but distorted assumptions. The crime has been carefully planned out. All of them could do it, but who could possibly have the courage to kill his friend?

Agitated and distressed, he was. He marched back and forth while scratching the back of his neck, he re-checked their profiles and searched for clues that may ring a bell, but there was none.

"Excuse me, sir? A mail came in for you," a man's voice interrupted his concentration. He barely looked at him, firmly glued to the folders laid on his table.

"Leave it there," he replied.

"No records then, huh?" Once again, he glanced over his board, adding another thread between Taehyung and Jungkook.

"Kim Namjoon." He bit the tip of his pen while he pondered about the lad's thread-less pin. There were no statements that could account his involvement in the crime, but the chief deputy was sure he's hiding something.

"We need to talk." Biting the inside of his cheeks, he scribbled a question mark on his photo.

. . .

Before he went home that night, he noticed the object wrapped in paper with a Christmas tree design. Weird. Christmas is in 6 months, and he's receiving gifts this early.

He inspected the present before tearing the cover apart. The trace of a smile on his face was gone when he caught a glimpse of what's hidden beneath the cheery design. He clicked his gun and kicked the door.

This is one of those times where he'd stay overtime to solve a case. Everyone has gone home, thus the task of closing the office lied on his hands.

He roamed, but there was no one around, he was obviously alone. But there was a worry in his heart that someone might be watching, lurking through the dark places, ready to place his grave next to his cousin's.

He sighed and grabbed the book as he left the station, it bounced on the passenger seat after throwing it. Then he finished the unwrapping, fully revealing the book title, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. He flipped through the pages and noticed a sticky note on the title page.

when the last leaf falls,
all your questions will be answered at last
don't conclude the ending,
without carefully looking at the past

chief deputy, welcome to my wonderland

just a short chapter dedicated
to my precious yugyeom

is the story still making sense?
i hope you guys are still doing fine