Counting The Steps With You (EXO Chanyeol)

Prologue

The sun is shining really brightly. So bright that I can hardly see anything. And there I am, standing still at a place where no human being is in sight. I'm waiting for someone. That special someone whom I'll never forget. Tick...tock... Tick. A complete silence filled the atmosphere as a shadowy figure is stepping closer, making my legs tremble with every step he make.

When I can finally see clearly who that person is, my lips curve into a smile. Happy tears make their ways rolling down my cheeks. Without any hesitation, I run to that person in white tux. I bury my head on his chest, crying to my heart's content. He then engulfs me into a tight hug, placing his hand on my head as he slowly caresses my hair. "Sorry," is the only word he speaks.

He places his head on mine, and says,"I'm sorry that it took awhile. Did you miss me?"

"Of course I missed you! I miss you so much, did you know that?! Why...why did you leave me?!" At this point, I can't help but break into tears.

He lets go of the hug, and holds my shoulders to make me face him. Droplets of tears are escaping his eyes as he tries to talk, but ends up staring at me deeply, not knowing what to say. He pulls me closer for another hug. We stay like that for a long time. Behind him, I see a couple smiling and nodding in agreement at our moment. The moment we both know that none of us would want to let go of.

I smile back to the couple and wipe away my tears. "Eomma,appa, have you been well?" I ask as the boy removes his hands from me and moves beside me, while wrapping his arms around me in a protective way. "Annyeonghaseyo, Mr and Mrs Seo," he greets.

But then, my parents slowly fades away, leaving only me and the lad beside me speechless. The bright sky turns into a dark one, creating a gloomy situation around my whole body. I hopefully look to my right only to find an empty space. The oblivious boy is no longer there. Darkness starts to invade my surroundings as I find myself falling down to who-knows-where.

------------------

I wake up. I chortle as I help myself up into a sitting position. It was only a dream,I thought. I'm seated on a bench in a place where it all happened. A beautiful park with a scenery only I can see. You can say that it is a private park full of memories. And it is all mine. All mine alone. I stand up and walk around the autumn trees. Pictures of 'us' are hung upon the branches.

The wind blows through my wavy brown hair. The cool breeze makes contact with my bare skin. I skipped around the trees, letting my white sleeveless dress flow in elegance as I walk through the beautiful path lined by flowers petals. On the end of the path, is another big oak tree with swings. And on the oak tree is a carving written in hangeul that says,

박찬열서진세

I head back to the vending machine nearby and purchase a can of coffee. I sit back on the bench earlier and carefully open the cap. I widely smile as I take a sip from the can. Coffee, the beverage I used to despise the most, is what I'm drinking at the moment. There is,of course, a reason behind the change of taste. You can already guess it. I smirk and chuckle like and idiot, because this apparent reason is driving me crazy. I touch my lips with my index finger and recall the flashbacks that is currently running around in my head.

"Do you want some?" Chanyeol asked while he seated himself on an empty space next to me, holding a can of beverage he just bought from the vending machine.

"Want some what?" I asked back.

"Coffee."

"Nuh-uh. I hate coffee. I swear that I will never drink that even if it's the only beverage left in this world that could save me from dehydration."

He laughed at my serious response. "You're funny. Why?" he questioned in a cute tone while pinching my cheeks.

I pouted. "Just.. Nothing. I don't know either," I answered after a long thought. Guessed I just hate coffee.

"But considering that you've never even tried some, would you like to try?" he persuaded.

"No."

"Come on,it tastes good~" he cooed cutely as if he was doing aegyo, then giggled afterwards. He leaned closer to my face and I could feel our breaths mixing together.

"No. Why are you so persistent on making me drink coffee and what are you doing?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

Without a warning, he suddenly pressed his lips onto mine. It took me a moment before I started kissing him back. He wrapped his arms around my waist and deepen the kiss. My heart was thumping irregularly, and butterflies fluttered in my stomach. I felt like there's a spark between our kiss. And coffee. After we both pulled back from it, I could feel my cheeks burning. Well, that was my first. He finally spoke up regarding my previous question.

"Because I've been planning to do that but I couldn't," he awkwardly laughed , then continued, "how did it taste..?"

"I..never thought..that coffee tastes sweet..." I grinned.

We both laughed absurdly at how stupid and awkward we were. We stopped talking and he gulped his can of coffee to the last bit of it. It was silent for a while.

"Jinse-yah," he called.

"Mmhmm?"

"You love me, don't you?"

"Of course i do, babo yah!" I nudged his arm playfully. I didn't know as to why he suddenly asked that, when he already knew the truth. I thought he was just playing around..

"Then can you promise me that you'll never blame yourself no matter what happens?" ..but he was serious.

"W-why?" I stuttered.

"Because I love you so much, babo yah!" he chuckled whilst ruffling my hair. "But...but, what if,just what if----