Melody

"Yes. I'm walking into the bank right now to cash the check from Mr. Raymond."

Some kind stranger pulls open the door for me.

I mouth a quick thanks in his direction.

"I still don't like what you are doing."

I roll my eyes at her comment.

"Say and think what you want. I'm helping out a couple who can't conceive a child on their own."

"Yeah, but they are paying you."

"That mostly goes to help pay for the medical bills. And they are using my body and energy."

"Fair point."

People start to give me weird looks.

Normally, I'm used to it from my swollen stomach. The product of being 35 weeks pregnant with twins.

"I have to go. I'll call you later. Love you, Gabby."

"Love you too, Melody. Just stay safe."

"Planning on it."

I hang up the phone, reaching for one of the deposit slips. I jot my information down on the sheet, approaching the line for the tellers.

Three people stand in front of me.

Two.

One.

Me.

I approach the female teller, smiling politely.

"I would like to make a deposit into my savings account."

She nods, taking the slip and the envelope containing the check out of my hand.

Just as she is about to enter all of the information into the computer, a voice shouts from the other side of the room.

"Everybody down on the floor! This is a robbery!"

Oh god.

Oh god no.

Terrified, I follow their instructions just like everyone around me does.

"Empty your pockets and take off all your jewelry. Set it all in the floor in front of you."

Cash? Jewelry?

I have none of that. Just a simple silver chain with my grandmother's wedding ring on it.

Nothing else.

I still reach into my pockets, searching for anything to hand over.

Coins, a piece of gum, and a sticky note.

Desperate, I set it out on the floor in front of me. One of the masked robbers walks by, grabbing my pathetic 'donations'.

Judging by the perfume and body structure, this robber is a female.