Kolli

"Thank you for all your help."

I walk to the elevator, stepping inside and pressing the '4' button. The doors shut and the elevator slowly starts to climb to the fourth floor. When the doors open again, I look for apartment number 419. I don't have to look hard. Jason is unlocking the door, paper bags balanced in his arms. I rush to his aid, taking one of the bags. He gets one look at me before his face turns white as a sheet.

"I didn't rat on your crew or anything. I swear."

"I'm not here for that."

I glance up and down the halls, spotting a camera at the far end.

"We need to talk. In private."

He nods, extracting his keys from the doorknob before twisting it open for me.

"Thank you."

He follows, shutting the door and setting his bags on the counter. I do the same just as Jason pulls a pistol from his waistband. He points the barrel at me.

"You want to talk? Talk."

I keep my hands in the air, not wanting to get shot today.

"My boss wants to know where the twins are. That's all."

"You're boss? Looked more like a boyfriend. Or some sick kind of sugar daddy."

I shudder at the horrible term.

"Nikko is not my sugar daddy. Boyfriend, yes."

I just gave away the name of the most wanted mob leader in the city. Oh well. He deserves to get locked away.

"Why does he want the twins?"

"He wants to sell them."

Jason's face twists in disgust.

"No way in hell I'm telling you where they are."

"I'm guessing General?"

His facial expression says it all. I'm right.

"No."

He's not a very good liar.

"I know this city like the back of my hand. The nearest hospital would be General. Don't lie to me again, Jason."

"They're never going to let you near those kids."

"True. Unless I am their mother."

"But you aren't."

"They don't know that."

Just the thought of kidnapping children makes me sick to my stomach.

Yeah. A mobster's main chick afraid of simple tasks. How stupid.

"You're too late. Mrs. Raymond left over two hours ago to retrieve her little sympathy pawns."

Sympathy pawns?

"What makes you say that they are her sympathy pawns?"

"Just the way she was acting. I think she's going to use the twins as some kind of pawn against the doctors and companies she sells pharmaceuticals to."

Big word. Here I thought he was a complete idiot.

"Good theory. If you truly think that is her plan, then you'll help me get those kids."

"For you to sell them? No way."

"My boyfriend wants to sell them. Not me."

Confusion paints a heavy layer over his features.

"You don't want to obey him?"

"I don't want the gang life. I was sold into it as a teen. All I want is to be a bakery owner or social worker or something normal."

This is the first time I have ever admitted this to anyone. Jason opens his mouth, probably to say sorry or something, but I cut him off.

"Don't patronize me. I've gotten over it."

"How old were you?"

His question catches me off guard.

"I was 15."

"How old are you now?"

"23."

Then, he does the most unexpected thing ever. He attempts to hug me.