Chapter Three

Ten minutes later I was dressed and ready to go. I walked to Jason's room and threw yesterday's clothes into my suitcase. I grabbed my purse checked to make sure that keys were in it and started to the door.

But I couldn't make it. My asthma kicked in. It had gotten worse since I started treatment. It was really hard to breathe I slumped to the floor and curled up in a ball trying to breathe.

A few minutes later I heard footsteps. They weren't heavy enough to be Jason's but not light enough to be Cassidy's. "Alice!" I gasped her name and suddenly she was there.

"Grace! What's wrong!?" She screamed worriedly and Jason ran into the room. He grabbed my purse and pulled out my medication.

"Alice move. Grace roll onto your back." He said gently but I couldn't move. "Okay. Hang on." He said as he started to unroll me. Once I was flat on my back I started to roll back up again. "Alice. Hold her legs."

Alice held my legs still while Jason held my shoulders down and dropped the dissolving pill into my mouth. Alice let go of my legs and I curled back up. But slowly my breathing returned to normal and I started to unfurl myself.

"Jason. How did you know to do that?" Alice asked questionably and I remembered that I had never actually told her that I had asthma.

"It's happened before. This time it was a lot worse. Grace is the cancer in your lungs now isn't it?" Jason asked as it dawned on him. I nodded for my answer not trusting myself to speak just yet.

Cassidy came running in. "Mama! Your going to be late!" She said hugging me tightly.

"I know sweetheart." I started but was cut off by the shrill ringing of my phone. "Hang on sweetie. I have to answer this."  I said kissing her forehead before setting her on the floor.

"Grace. It's Dr. O'mally. I have some bad news. The hospital is experiencing some major cut backs. And they have decided to cancel your treatments unless you have found a donor. I would estimate that you have two weeks left. I'm truly sorry. Bye." Dr. O'mally said hanging up before I could get a word in.

"Grace? What's wrong?" Jason asked reaching toward me. I stood quickly and ran out the front door. I slammed the door as I stepped out on the porch. That was when I heard the voice.

"Grace? What's wrong?" She shouted causing me to turn to stare at the woman who was standing directly in front of me.

"Mom. What the hell are you doing here?" I asked angrily.

"Grace. Let me explain." Mom said and when I didn't say anything she went on. "Grace I have been keeping tabs on you since we left you at the hospital."

"Honestly I was thrilled when I found out that you were pregnant but your father was furious. I didn't want a divorce so I did as your father demanded." Mom said.

"But recently I found out that you had cancer. Your father and I haven't been talking the past few months. So I hired a lawyer. Long story short, I'm here for you and divorced from your father." Mom said happily.

"Your to late Mom. Your to late! Just like you always are!" I shouted and ran into the house and into Jason's chest. He caught me as I almost fell to the ground.

"Who are you yelling at? Are you crying? What's happened?" Jason asked holding onto my arms.

"Mom. Yes. The doctors cut off my chemo treatments. I have two weeks left." I said and Jason looked past me and stared at my mother. He motioned her in.

"Why are you here?" He asked her over my head.

"To give my daughter my lung." She answered causing me to turn and stare at her.

"I found out a couple months ago that your cancer had moved to your lungs. So I'm giving mine to you. And you are going to accept it." Mom said.

"Mommy just do it." Cassidy said from my right. I leaned down and picked her up.

"Is that your daughter Grace?" Mom asked. I nodded as Cassidy pulled my hair only this time it came out in her hands. I grabbed her hands before she decided to pull it again and I lost more of my thinning hair.

"So. Are you ready to tell me her father's name?" Mom asked reaching for Cassidy. I handed her over. "What's your name?" Mom asked.

"Cassidy." I answered for Cassidy.

"Hi there Cassidy. I'm your Grandma. Who's your father?" Mom asked and I just started at her.

"Who?" Cassidy asked reaching up and pulling Mom's hair and I bit back a laugh. She's just like me, I thought.

"Your father." Mom repeated.

"That's not your business." Cassidy said sounding even more like me. But Jason wasn't satisfied with that answer because he told her the truth.

"Me. I am Cassidy's father." He said answering my Mom's question.

"You? Grace is this the truth?" Mom asked me disbelief coloring her tone.

"Yes Mom. So if you have a problem with it. Well good riddance to you." I said taking Cassidy from her and walking to Alice's room.