여섯

I don't know how I let him coax me into unlocking the door, but it was his soft voice and smile; the last things I had saw that night. 

It felt like a fog had come over me, hibernation of the brain. I groaned slightly as I rolled over onto my side, shuffling feet caused me to open my eyes at the sound. His glasses sat at the tip of his nose and his hospital coat was ruffled, he had his face stuck into my chart.  I watched him for a bit as he flicked between pages, making weird faces and finally looking up to make eye contact with me.

"Ah, you're awake?" He stood up and placed the clipboard down on the chair, his hands reached out and lightly took my hand. "Everything went fine, recovery is expected to be three weeks.

I fumbled for my phone and tried to type correctly. "3 weesk?"

"Yes, the throat is a very complex muscle."

"Do I have to stay here?"

"You'll be cleared to go back to practice after a week, unfortunately not verbally."

I stayed silent and just nodded. I was bummed I would have to wait so long, would I have a job after I returned?

--

A nurse woke me up from my afternoon nap to give me new medications and some water to take them with. I tried to ignore the 2nd nurse who peeked her head into the room at chat with the other.

"I heard something weird from Soo- In!"

"Is it true this time, last time she was looking for attention?"

"She says Dr. Kim is gay!"