열여섯

He was cold after that day, he would return from work and enter his room for the night. He had eye bags, wrinkled clothes, and ruffled hair. The house seemed cold, absent, even still. I never expected that a month and three days later he would come out and be almost bipolar towards me. He told me he would protect me, keep me warm and never let go. It was like he melted through the ice block around my heart.

I was wrapped in a blanket on the couch like a burrito, watching Friends and almost falling asleep. Jin came home for work and dropped his bag on the floor and came over and sat on the couch with me.

"How was work?" I turned down the TV volume.

He seemed distraught, his face pale and a tear on his cheek.

"I couldn't save her, she was in my arms and all I could do..." He was talking between sobs, I had never seen him this broken.

"Jin, come here." I pulled my blanket open and yanked him into my arms, wrapping us together. He gripped onto my arm, his back shaking and his voice muffled in my shirt.

After he calmed down he slumped into the couch, his shirt unbuttoned and his eyes red. I brought him some dinner and he ate a few bites, he was heartbroken. Jin went to bed that night, he left his door open while I finished cleaning the dishes. 

I was pulled against his chest in a back hug, he buried his head into my neck and squeezed my tummy.

"Can you sleep in my room tonight?"