Chapter XXXIX

Chapter XXXIX

Ariadne

I followed Lycus into the dark walkway, groping about so as not to trip. I stumbled over him when he stopped suddenly, and felt his hand shoot back to steady me. I grabbed onto it gratefully, whispering an apology.

"Hold on. I'm trying to find the exit," He muttered, letting go of me and messing with something. I couldn't make anything out in the darkness of the tunnel, though I knew an exit had to be near as a cold breeze blew over me.

"Where does this lead out?" I whispered.
Lycus answers by finding the way to open the door, letting dim light stream in from the fading sun. I crept out behind him and stared at my surroundings, amazed. We were outside the compound with the city to the left and open fields to the right. It was a beautiful sight, and made my heart ache for home.

"Time to go," Lycus grabbed my arm and started tugging me towards the city walls. I scrambled to keep up, startled. I cast one last longing glance towards the open fields before we plunged into the city once again. Now that it was practically night, the unsavory people were starting to come out. I clung closer to Lycus, my hands gripping his tunic tightly.

"Ariadne, stop it. You're going to make me trip," Lycus snapped, trying to pull my hands off him.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, releasing my grip. But I stayed as near to him as I could, my eyes watchful for anyone dangerous looking. 

"It's alright. Just stay close and you'll be fine," he answered, weaving through the cramped streets easily. He ducked to the right abruptly and I scrambled to keep up, but a big, greasy man stepped in my way, blocking me from Lycus.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing out at night?" He sniffled and wiped his nose, bending down to my level. I took a step back, but bumped into the stone wall of a building.

"Lycus--" I weakly tried to call, but my throat was dry and wouldn't work properly. I tried to shout or wave my arm to get Lycus' attention, but the man had me cornered and was grinning.

"Now now, don't be afraid," the man chuckled, causing me to shake.

"I need to be going," I said, my voice barely audible.

He pressed a meaty hand to my shoulder. "Not so fast."

"Please," I begged, squirming beneath his grip. Lycus, save me...

Gotta love those cliffhangers!! Hehehehe...

Ariadne - Ithildae