Chapter LXIII

Chapter LXIII

Lycus

A harsh cry escaped my lips as Ariadne's hand collided with my leg. "I said, leave me alone," I snapped through clenched teeth. Couldn't she take a hint?

Ariadne sobbed again and in the dim light, I saw her scuttle to the far wall and bury her face in her updrawn knees.

I closed my eyes in agony and collapsed on my side, a moan escaping my lips. If only we'd seen things going south. If only we'd never spoken to Drusus. If only Lydia had not been home. If only... If only I'd never met Ariadne in the first place. It was because of her I was in this position. I could have had a decent life, slave though I was.

I sighed, though it brought pain to my bruised ribs. I couldn't think like that. I opened one eye and saw her outline across the cell through blurred vision. Her small form shook with sobs.

I closed the eye again. It hurt to see her crying like that. Crying probably partly because of  the way I'd treated her. She'd only tried to help. I knew I should say I was sorry, but I didn't want to admit I was wrong. She should have retreated when I'd told her to leave. But I didn't have to be so harsh.

I moaned again; I couldn't take my mind off the pain for more than a few minutes. At this point, I almost wished to die, just so I wouldn't feel anymore pain. Maybe if I apologized to Ariadne I wouldn't feel so much guilt. Guilt was not a very nice feeling to have.

At last, I ground out, "I'm sorry."

Ariadne looked up. "What?"

"I said I'm sorry."

She sniffled. "Really?"

I nodded. "Really."

She sniffled again. "I'm sorry too."

A ghost of a smile tugged at the corner of my mouth.

So.... that was sorta a filler chapter, but at least they made up! But we wanna know... what are your predictions for what's gonna happen next??

Ariadne - Ithildae