Burning memories

As the Scythe rose, the images flashed before her eyes. Her life was at it's end and she knew it. But what she regretted most was Sweet Thorn's demise. And that played out once more in her head so clearly.

"You have been doing so well, Daisy. But you know the conditions of moving forward. Do you wish to accept?" Shadow Nexus had asked.

The only thing that had been in her mind was making him proud, moving forward. The glory. "I accept." Daisy nodded.

"Good. Meet us in the arena tonight. Don't be late." Shadow said sternly.

"I won't." She said.

The rest of the day she spent training and taking care of her sick cousin.

"I won't be here tonight. I have an extra shift due to someone else being sick." She said. Her cousin just looked up at her a saddened little look in her yellow eyes. Her lazy eye only became worse, skewing more to the side. "I'm sorry." Daisy said. "I promise I'll be back later." She gave her cousin a parting hug, then made her way back to the guild.

When she got there, she made her way to the arena. Upon entering, she looked to the sky. The stars were burning bright ronoght, and the moon was full, as if in anticipation.

She then looked back to Shadow Nexus, who had two ponies standing near him. She immediately recognized Petal Dance, his second in command, but she couldn't recognize the other pony, who had a cloak draped over them.

"I see. This is who has come to challenge me... I was hoping it wouldn't be her. But we must do what we must do." The pony said, taking the cloak off.

The voice. Calm and icy. Yet broken down inside. She knew the voice. To hear it broken made her weak.

"Your opponent. Thorn." Shadow Nexus said, she nodding, letting Thorn step forward.

"Sapphire." Sweet Thorn said, nodding. She looked to the sky, the moon illuminating her vacant eyes. The blue-white color was the first sign to anypony. She was blind. "Of all the ponies. I didn't want it to be you. But deep down, I knew it would be you to take my place."

"S-sweet... Wait. Can I change my mind? I don't want to anymore." Daisy said. Had she known, she wouldn't have accepted.

"It is too late now. Kill her or be killed by her." He said roughly. "You have your weapon?" He asked.

Daisy could feel her eyes start to water, but she had to fight it back. She moved to the rack, where she had placed a sword for her during this fight. She unsheathed it, taking it in her teeth. She took a breath, then stepped forward.

"Are you ready, Daisy?" Thorn asked. She didn't want to do this either, but she flicked her right leg, extending her blade.

Daisy knew what had to happen, so she strode forward, readying her blade. But at the last moment, she opened her wings and jumped over Thorn, twisting to land behind her, facing her.

Thorn had expected this, though and spun around to face her, swiping her left blade, making contact with the sword. The metallic clang resounded in the empty arena.

As the two fought, Shadow and Petal both watched in suppressed enthusiasm. 

The two were now away from each other, reading the other for the next move. Daisy quickly moved forward, slashing for the chest, but Thorn flew upwards, dodging the attack. But Daisy had wanted that. She quickly spun and lifted off, flying swiftly next to her, the sword digging into her side.

Thorn rolled downwards and away after her side had been slashed, blood falling from her side. She landed back on the ground, looking up to see Daisy coming at her. She only had enough time to lift her blade, attempting to deflect it. But Daisy had aimed lower than her blade, the sword tearing through Thorn's leg, severing her hoof.

Thorn held back a scream of pain as she flew backwards into the air to escape the sword. But Daisy was all too ready. she had come up with her, slashing her sword again, meant for her stomach. But she missed and her blade cut through the right wing's flesh and bone. Unstable, Thorn fell to the ground, slamming hard on to the open wound. she let out a pained grunt.

Daisy landed, noticing that Thorn's wing was in front of her, inches away from her face. She was crying, yet she held a smile.

"you did it. You beat me. But you know what you need to do." Sweet Thorn said, laying her head down in the growing puddle of blood. "Congrats, Daisy. I always did believe in you."

Daisy lowered herself to Thorn. She took her face in her hoof, pressing their lips together one last time. "I love you. I'm sorry." She said, tears in her eyes.

Thorn smiled after the kiss, then looked at Daisy. "Please... Sing for me one more time."

Daisy felt a smile form on her lips, despite not wanting to. But she respected her last wishes, taking a breath and starting.

(Going to enter song here shortly)

She got up, kissing her forhead, then raised the sword. She aimed for the heart, pressed against her side, then took her hoof and pushed it through her ribs, killing her immediately.

Then exhaustion hit her and she collapsed.